Shrimp compatibility

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irkrts

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm keen in the future to have a fry tank (when I rehome it's occupants), and was wondering on your thoughts on this:

47L AquaVue-like tank with built in filter, gravel, live plants, driftwood.
Live in hard water area, no plans to use reverse osmosis.

Plans for tank:
Juvenile platy / guppy / swordtails from fry to good size
Snails
Cherry red shrimp

Do you think they'd be compatible?

Thank you very much!

If all you are going to have in the tank is the Platies/ guppies, then you’ll have no problem.

Guppies usually don’t eat shrimp fry. I have about 20 charro shrimp in my 10g betta tank, and even he doesn’t eat them. ;)

I have a 55 gallon tank with neon,ember and red eye tetras along with albino catfish and snails. I did some research on line before putting in 5 ghost shrimp. What you have looks fine to me for shrimp. I have had my shrimp for only a week or so. The fish get close to check out the shrimp but seem to leave them alone. I have plenty of hiding places for all.

I have 29 gallon well planted tank with drift wood. About 20+ shrimp. Many guppies fry, 2 loaches and the shrimp seem fine.... only threat I can see is my damn filter. It had openings where naive shrimp tried going into had to add nylon to it to keep them out. The plants I highly recommend are java moss, anubias and crypts. They are amazing and hard to kill and great for shrimp to feed off and hide when feeling threatened. If you can get them it can increase the safety of shrimp:) I will try to enter my tank in next aquarium contest. It should look great by then.

I removed my betta. My tank has always been a shrimp only tank but tried a betta. Didn’t work. With a shrimp only tank the shrimp are out all the time and everywhere. I can sit and watch them for an hour at a time. Funny creatures. :)

Attachments

• CC3E3D46-EFED-4A8E-B121-52D0DC053585.jpeg
    CC3E3D46-EFED-4A8E-B121-52D0DC053585.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 92
You have a lot of shrimp are they all the same type? My shrimp usually come out in the evening when I turn the tank lights off and just have low light in the room. I hoped they would not be scared of my tetras but it seems they are.

Yes, mine hid while the betta was there. I have all red cherry shrimp. Had over 100 until Edgar (betta) decided they were a great snack. It really affected the breeding too. I use to always have 5 or 6 berried females at a time. I currently only have 2. It will take some time to get the colony established again. I think Edgar preferred female snacks. Lol!

Last edited:
How big is your shrimp tank? I noticed snails-what type are they?
My tank is a 20 long but they were in a 20G for a long time. The snails are pond snails that hitchhiked in. I hate killing anything unless it’s to end suffering so they all live compatibly now. I also have 2 large ramshorn snails in there. They also hitchhiked. :):)

For hitchhikers they don't look bad. I have a 40 gallon tank that is empty after taking out the two mystery snails that were in there. I had vacuumed my 55 gallon and poured some of the food and stuff into it for the snails to eat a week or two ago when I put the 1st one in there. So today I was looking into the empty 40 getting ready to empty it and clean it out and what do I see but what looks like a baby shrimp swimming several inches from the bottom. I lost site of him so I am not for sure. All plans on hold for now:oh:

I did that once. I was feeding my tropical fish one night and saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was a red cherry shrimp. He must have been a tiny shrimplet when I moved my shrimp out of that tank and somehow survived into a pretty good size juvenile before I found him. I couldn’t believe no fish ate him. After a good chase, I caught him and moved him to the shrimp tank. :). Wasn’t as shocking as th day I found a platy fry in my goldfish tank. They eat everything. I had moved my tropicals into another tank so my goldies could have the bigger one. I guess the fry got left behind. He was in there with those fish piggies for 2 weeks before I found him. Named him “Lucky”.

I only have guppies with my shrimp. They seem to co exist fine but like I said theres plenty of hide out for them if they feel threatened. I usually see at least 2 or more whenever I look at my aquarium. I never seen a guppy go after one but I don't have baby shrimp yet. There is 1 small one got from the breeder but it hides in the plants. Seems very smart so far.

I decided to try some guppies and shrimp together. I am silent cycling my 3rd tank with several plants and moss balls. I picked up 5 small feeder guppies and 5 small feeder ghost shrimp. They all are tiny, the guppies are little larger than fry.

Most reactions

trending

Back