Shrimp colony question?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

I am a Newby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So in my 7g i started with 7 shrimps now there is over 100.
Moved maybe 40 to 15 g tank and still so many babys in smaller tank.
Need advice what to do to stop them breading like colder or warmer water, now its set to 25c, or somethign else.
Was hopeing that platys would put a dent in population but they not even intrsted in baby shrimps never seen one been eaten so far.
Tryed with shrimp trap catching babys but they dont go into trap at all instead fish goes in lol. Botle cap is opening and fish swim in all the time.

To stop fish and shrimp breeding, reduce the temperature and or reduce the food. Either should stop them reproducing.

Most fish and shrimp stop breeding in cooler weather and start when the weather warms up. The cooler weather is often associated with shorter days (less light). Most tropical fish will stop breeding when the temperature drops to 20C, tropical shrimp should be the same.

Less food will stop them breeding too. If you feed them each day, reduce it to once every second day and they will be less inclined to producing offspring if there is less food.

The young shrimp should be fed well until they are mature and then they can be fed less. If the babies don't get fed well, they won't develop properly and won't be good quality if you choose to breed form them in the future.

To stop fish and shrimp breeding, reduce the temperature and or reduce the food. Either should stop them reproducing.

Most fish and shrimp stop breeding in cooler weather and start when the weather warms up. The cooler weather is often associated with shorter days (less light). Most tropical fish will stop breeding when the temperature drops to 20C, tropical shrimp should be the same.

Less food will stop them breeding too. If you feed them each day, reduce it to once every second day and they will be less inclined to producing offspring if there is less food.

The young shrimp should be fed well until they are mature and then they can be fed less. If the babies don't get fed well, they won't develop properly and won't be good quality if you choose to breed form them in the fit

I dont feed shrimp at all they get whatever flakes fall to bottom and feed on biofilm only, once i week i give them some boiled vegatable and thats it. How low can i go with temp then i have 2 x platy and 5 x rummynose tera in tenk only with them? Isnt 20c to low for this type of fish?
I have no option to sell them or trade them in to local fs, asked and they not intrested.
Now in 15g i see lots of babys shrimps again females gave birth i guess were bearing when i moved them its geting out of control lol.
Think i migh get me betta for this 15g and see if he goes after babys atleast its either that or throw them away and i dont fell liek throwing them away i acctualy like them but need to control breading somehow.

Just googled about water temp for breading them and they say if i keep lover temp between 21-23c they will bread slower but it will produce more females which in long run would get bigger collony again i dont know what to belive anymore. Optimal breeding temp is 25-27 and evrything higher reduces life span and produces more males apperently.

Platies are fine in water that is 20C.

Rummynose should be ok but you need to reduce the temperature slowly over a month or two, depending on how warm the water is currently. If the temp is 24C now, then drop it 1C every week or two until you get to 20C. If you don't want to drop it that low, then take it down to 22C.

----------------------
Just googled about water temp for breeding them and they say if I keep lower temp between 21-23c they will breed slower but it will produce more females which in long run would get bigger colony again I don't know what to believe anymore. Optimal breeding temp is 25-27 and everything higher reduces life span and produces more males apparently.
That's a ripper isn't it. Drop the temperature to slow them breeding, but they produce more female young so you get more babies later :)

If you get the temperature low enough (20C should do it), that should stop them breeding altogether.

----------------------
The other thing is to reduce the food going in for the fish. How often do you feed the fish and does much food sink to the bottom?

If you reduce the temperature, you can reduce the feeding too because they won't eat as much in the cooler water.

However, I think you need to find a place that will buy surplus shrimp. It's weird that the local shops won't take the shrimp off you. Over here most shops will buy shrimp from customers.

What about selling them online during the warmer weather?
Maybe do an eBay account and sell them locally or ship them to other parts of the country. You would need plastic bags and boxes to send them out in, but it might be an option. You could also see if there are any aquarium societies/ clubs in your area and take the shrimp there. You might be able to sell them to other fish keepers at the club or just donate them to the raffle table.

I know you gonna find it hard to belive but no ls want to buy them or exchange them for anything, if you look it up online in Podgorica Montenegro where im from there si literaly no club, group on facebook or forum or anuthing regarding fishkeeping. There was 1 and last post in that one is from 2013 i try writeing there to retsart forum and got 1 reply saying no1 cares lol.
I did some rescaping today lower temp by 1 degree and change water flow to low and turn output to back glass so i can add betta to tank.
Need to build lid in next few days when i get time as it is rimless tank so need to fugure some lid out an i will add 1 male betta and 5 male guppys to tank see if they make a dent to them.
Today i moved some rocks and there was hundreds of shrimp fry under them its just gonne mad now in this tank like amsterdam red district all they do is shag shag shag
I slowly reduce temp to 22c as i thats bare minimum i can get for guppy and betta try keep it at that during all summer and then slowly increase in winter again.
Regarding feeding i try to sit and feed them so nothing drops to botom in 3min duration once day but have litle girl that i know feeds them when im not looking allready find weird stuff in tanks like french fry lol she try blaming it on my dog said he did it. Had to do complete water change to remove grease from water surface form french fry.

Last edited:
Do you have a fish store nearby? When I have too many shrimp I just take a bunch to the local fish store. Sometimes you can get store credit for them.

Do you have a fish store nearby? When I have too many shrimp I just take a bunch to the local fish store. Sometimes you can get store credit for them.
Have few offered them them more then fair deal to sell shrimp for 0.50 back to them as they sell them for 2 euros a peace or to trade for dechlorinator, food plants exc at same value 0.5 per shrimp and they all said no. Even oferred to trade for bettta delta male which they sell for 6 euros i offered 20 shrimp for it and answer is nope not intrested and they acctualy out of shrimps at moment havenone for sale shrimp tank empty but they refused.
To be honest im thinking of making new tank allready and just useing them as food. I started hobby in january have 2 tanks now 7 and 15g and probably gonna make larger one for chiclids and just feed shrimp to them as endless food suply since they bread like crazy .

I don't recommend keeping guppies and Bettas together because they both have big bright colourful fins and the male Bettas sometimes go after the guppies thinking they are rivals. In a fight, the Bettas always win.

We have a similar issue regarding pet shops. The big chain stores won't buy fish, plants or anything else from customers. This is odd considering we buy the fish and plants from the store and they won't take them back (even for free). They say it's store policy and some have said they don't want diseases from customer's tanks. But if a customer buys all their fish and plants from the shop, then any diseases in the customer's tank has come from the shop. Fortunately we still have a number of normal (non chain) stores and they will buy fish, plants, shrimp, etc.

Guppies probably won't eat many baby shrimp. Barbs or rainbowfish will eat baby shrimp and might be an option if you have a big tank without a Betta.

Yes, most places won't give you anything for your shrimp. I found one place that would give me 1/8 retail value on the shrimp I gave them, but then it went out of business. Since then I give them to another store for free when there are too many of them.

Yes, most places won't give you anything for your shrimp. I found one place that would give me 1/8 retail value on the shrimp I gave them, but then it went out of business. Since then I give them to another store for free when there are too many of them.
It all worked out i gave 50 last night to mate that has chiclids in planted tank to see if they get eaten or they survive to start colony there. His tans is heavy planted so im guessing it will work lots will survive.

Update they going good in my tank and they survived against chiclids so far so good there is over 20 alive right now in tank with rams.
This is video in mine they happy litle buggers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back