Should I Worry About High Ph?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lifeofbrian

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have read in the newbie no no post http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=13133,that i shouldn't touch my ph,but it is very high at 8.5..The guy at my lfs said ph doesn't really matter,and that they never touch theirs.But i would like to get it to a better level for the fish.Every time i read a post on here of someones ph level,they're always very low,so unless they've got acidic tap water,(which all water companies seek to avoid trying for 6.5-9.5),they are doing something to bring it down.Or maybe they're just fudging the numbers to make it look good,lol?I've seen a ton of ph down products,should give them a go,or could i do damage?
SV201858.jpg

Unless the fish you want to keep are wild caught then you should be fine and even if they are wilds then it shouldn't be a big issue with a lot of species (although there are some exceptions) easily adapting to the change in ph,

Also you haven't said what species you would like to keep?

Unless the fish you want to keep are wild caught then you should be fine and even if they are wilds then it shouldn't be a big issue with a lot of species (although there are some exceptions) easily adapting to the change in ph,

Also you haven't said what species you would like to keep?

I already have 11 silver tip tetras and 2 three spot gouramis.I know they're both supposed to be adabtable to many water conditions,but i'm really trying to get my head around why most people posts ph values of 7.0 or less.And as i learn more about fish i would like to be able to have a nice mid range ph.

I'd just keep fish that are ok in that PH. My ph is 7.4 and I just keep fish that are ok in my PH

If you're truely worried, simply drip your fish for the acclimation period. This should allow them to become accostomed to the High ph. Other than that, most fish are highly adaptable and should be able to tolerate that ph with no issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back