Should I Strip Down My Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been trying to get rid of ich for almost 2+ weeks now. My platy started with a tiny white spot on her tail fin which faded over a few days (with heat and meds). Another spot appeared after a week when I thought it was starting to get better. She hasn't been flecking all this while however I just saw her scratching quite a lot. I'm still treating with meds and the heat's constantly been at 32C.

My water params were good on Tuesday. Will be checking tomorrow as I wasn't able to test today.

I'm wondering if stripping down my tank would be a good idea? Although I worry it would cause more problems instead. :crazy:

Would like to know what you guys think.

Not yet, it'd be a last resort to me. Loads of thorough gravel vacs and water changes should suffice.

How big is your tank, and what else is in it? How long did you use ich meds, and what did you use? You need to use it for as long as the bottle recommends, not just until the spots disappear. It's just like humans on antibiotics. Usually you use them for 10 days, even though you feel better after just a few days. You need to use it as recommended.

How big is your tank, and what else is in it? How long did you use ich meds, and what did you use? You need to use it for as long as the bottle recommends, not just until the spots disappear. It's just like humans on antibiotics. Usually you use them for 10 days, even though you feel better after just a few days. You need to use it as recommended.

My tank's 5 gallons and she's the only inhabitant. I used a local brand med for almost 2 weeks and switched to waterlife protozin after I finished it. I'm currently on day 5 of protozin.

Yes, I'm hesitant about stripping the tank but just thought I'd ask. I hope it'll be rid of soon..

You are probably seeing the second cycle of infection, meaning you did not get all its "babies". Gravel vacs is a good way to get the cysts: no cysts, no free swimmers, no free swimmers, no parasite that will latch on to a host.

I had to treat both tanks for ich before, and had great success using the salt and heat method! Depending on what kind of fish you have you may have to be careful with the amount of salt used.

white spot can be brought ony by stress - and if you only had one platy in a little tank, it would have been pretty stressed.

plenty of substrate vacs..to hoover up the eggs..carry on with the Protozin :good:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Will keep doing gravel vacs!

Hi all, I think my platy's getting better although I can never be too sure. The spot's faded and she's not flecking. Would like to know how much longer I should keep up with the meds.

Plus a bit of her tail fin's missing. Doesn't look like it's fin rot though :S

Hi all, I think my platy's getting better although I can never be too sure. The spot's faded and she's not flecking. Would like to know how much longer I should keep up with the meds.

Plus a bit of her tail fin's missing. Doesn't look like it's fin rot though :S

I'm curious as to what else you think this could be with there only being one fish in the tank.

I guess it was a stupid question then. So far my experience with fin rot is that the edges would be white. My platy doesn't have that so I was just wondering.

I guess it was a stupid question then. So far my experience with fin rot is that the edges would be white. My platy doesn't have that so I was just wondering.

Not a stupid question at all, fin rot is hard to identify if you don't have much to compare it to.

Fish fins can look tatty for all sorts of reasons especially if they're run down and ill. Lots of water changes is the best medicine, whatever it is.

Even though your fish is looking better, keep treating for as long as the instructions say, water change after treatment is complete.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back