Should I seperate my Tyretrack Eels??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Naidisbo

Reaction score
I had bought two of them from a tropical fish store who kept all of the young eels together in one tank, and thus thought it was fine to keep multiple together - They even told me it was fine to keep them in a 10 Gallon at their size - Which it is /not/. I'm planning on getting a 35 Gallon for them while they're still small, and eventually a larger one once they outgrow that one. I already know now that I've made every single beginner mistake. I'm trying to fix all my mistakes, but my funds are a little low.
Anywho, so with my zero knowledge I ended up buying two Tyretracks that stayed close to each other, hoping that possibly they would breed one day - I then read that they are aggressive with each other and have never been bred in captivity. However... These two are NOT aggressive with each other. Yet.

To sum up: They (used to) feed each other, they visit each other's logs, they wiggle at each other, if one's scared they go find the other and I've even caught them snuggling up with each other.
I'll get pictures and maybe a video up as soon as I can, because they are precious.
I haven't seen them fight or chase each other, there's no signs of aggression or fear and feeding together hasn't been a problem.
I don't know, what do you guys think?
Am I reading them all wrong and this IS aggressive??

They are even fine sharing a hiding/hunting spot (Even though I have a total of three good eely homes in the tank!) For the first few days, one of them (Named Sibbi) would kill the feeder shrimp and then bring it into the stump that the other eel (Named Moko) lives in. Moko would start to eat it and Sibbi would then go off and kill another shrimp. Once Moko learned to hunt (albeit a bit sloppily), Sibbi stopped bringing shrimp into Moko's stump and instead took them to his own log.
This doesn't seem like "Aggressive Behaviour" to me, but I suppose that could change as they get older.

Never really kept a Tyretrack Eel, only the smaller zig zag eel. I considered getting a fire eel before but being picky eaters I didn't bother.

All I know is Tyretrack Eels get huge and you will need a tank upwards a 100 gallon.

All I know is Tyretrack Eels get huge and you will need a tank upwards a 100 gallon.

Yeah... Though I know that now, when I was buying them I had been told that "Zigzags" and "Tyretracks" were the same species - The smaller of the two. I can't even find a good source to tell me if they're Zigzags or Tyretracks, or which one is the larger of the two! Some say the Zigzag, other's the Tyretrack. Some say the Tyretracks have more intense patterns, some say it's the Zigzags. So... I really have NO idea which one I have right now.
I'm determined to keep them though... I'll just have to keep getting bigger tanks when they're getting big and I have the money!
At worst, if they start getting too big for my budget I'll try to find a temporary home for them.

Last edited:
They both might have zig zag eel as a common name...

But the smaller one is Macrognathus circumcinctus, Half banded spiny eel
And the bigger one is Mastacembelus Armatus, Tire Track Eel

Looks like they're probably Tyretracks after all.

The place I got them from only showed the common names for their fish unfortunately, so looks like I'm guessing until they get older.

Thank you very much, by the way!

Not having any experience with eels I would leave them together as long as they get along. If any aggression shows up then I would separate them.

Most reactions

trending

Back