Should I replace my lost corycat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

mollycb

Reaction score
I lost one of my three peppered corycats today. Since my once tiny school is now a pair, should I replace the lost cory? If so, will a new peppered cory school well with the other two (who Iā€™ve had for about a year)?

I also have 3 oto cats, 5 harlequin rasboras, and a honey Gourami in the tank with the 2 remaining corys.

I lost one of my three peppered corycats today. Since my once tiny school is now a pair, should I replace the lost cory? If so, will a new peppered cory school well with the other two (who Iā€™ve had for about a year)?

I also have 3 oto cats, 5 harlequin rasboras, and a honey Gourami in the tank with the 2 remaining corys.
first of all
why did the cory die?
how big is your tank?

first of all
why did the cory die?
how big is your tank?
We arenā€™t sure what happened. All of our fish have been acting normal, so it was quite a surprise to us. My husband found him upside down and unresponsive at the bottom of the tank this morning.

We have a small 6 gallon tank. Some may say itā€™s overstocked, but the water is cycled well and water levels are very consistent.

Tank is too small and probably stressed the Cory cat. I wouldnā€™t get anything else until you can increase your tank size. Once you have a larger tank, you can add more cories. They are sociable fish and will welcome new members to their group. Good luck!

Hi! I just want to say I am very sorry the Cory passed away. It is never easy to lose a fish.

Cory catfish do best in larger groups. A group of 3 is not enough unfortunately, and now that there are only 2 it will be harder on them. In my opinion, the minimum tank size for a peppered Cory school would be a 20 gallon long, where they would do best in a group of 8 to 12. Six gallons is just not enough to provide them the space they need to swim and school, and certainly not enough to be able to provide the numbers in their school that they need.

May I ask, do you use a test kit or test strips? Often times the strips are not accurate, so it may appear your water conditions are good while they arenā€™t. What else is in the tank?

I would recommend getting a larger tank, at least a 20 gallon long, and like 6 to 8 more Cories! If a larger tank is not an option, you could rehome the Cories to your LFS if they have other peppered Cories

Hi! I just want to say I am very sorry the Cory passed away. It is never easy to lose a fish.

Cory catfish do best in larger groups. A group of 3 is not enough unfortunately, and now that there are only 2 it will be harder on them. In my opinion, the minimum tank size for a peppered Cory school would be a 20 gallon long, where they would do best in a group of 8 to 12. Six gallons is just not enough to provide them the space they need to swim and school, and certainly not enough to be able to provide the numbers in their school that they need.

May I ask, do you use a test kit or test strips? Often times the strips are not accurate, so it may appear your water conditions are good while they arenā€™t. What else is in the tank?
We do use both test strips (to get a quick read) and the test kit. We know itā€™s a small tank, but our water conditions are good.

The goal is to get a larger tank once we are out of an apartment. For now, their little home will have to do. They all appear very active and happy. As I said in my original post, the tank has been established for over a year and this is our first casualty.

Thanks to all for the responses.

I agree the tank is too small but ... corys are non aggressive and very social I always try to personify the situation
Would you rather be stuck in a tiny prison cell on your own or be cramped in with a few good mates to keep sanity itā€™s a tough choice really but most people in the hobby will keep buying more tanks and bigger tanks until the rabbit hole ends so me personally Iā€™d get more corys just because I know in a few weeks maybe months youā€™ll slide the rabbit hole and get a bigger tank or another one??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back