Should I "recycle" my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joeishere

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about getting about a 3 gallon tank for some yellow cherry shrimp and some snails. My girlfriend already had a 3 gallon that she is willing to give me, that she has already cycled. But she hasn't touched it in awhile or fed the bacteria. So I was wondering should I completely cycle it over again or just feed the bacteria?

So I've been thinking about getting about a 3 gallon tank for some yellow cherry shrimp and some snails. My girlfriend already had a 3 gallon that she is willing to give me, that she has already cycled. But she hasn't touched it in awhile or fed the bacteria. So I was wondering should I completely cycle it over again or just feed the bacteria?
The bacteria should be fine, PROVIDED that it was kept wet.
When you set your tank up with water in it, test it and see what readings you get. If you had lots of live plants, I think you'll find that the tank is effectively cycled to the point where the bacteria can manage any waste products
Generally, you can't really add too much beneficial bacteria, although you might get a bacterial bloom (milky white cloudiness) which should dissipate on its own, so you could also use one of the bottled bacteria. Obviously, if the old bacteria has dried out, then you may have to add extra anyway.

The bacteria should be fine, PROVIDED that it was kept wet.
When you set your tank up with water in it, test it and see what readings you get. If you had lots of live plants, I think you'll find that the tank is effectively cycled to the point where the bacteria can manage any waste products
Generally, you can't really add too much beneficial bacteria, although you might get a bacterial bloom (milky white cloudiness) which should dissipate on its own, so you could also use one of the bottled bacteria. Obviously, if the old bacteria has dried out, then you may have to add extra anyway.
Thank you so much!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back