Should I Put A Female Betta In My 55Gal?

PeachesNCream

Reaction score
Well I don't want to try a male because I have 3 gourami in the tank but could I put a female in there?

In the tank I currently have:

2 blue dwarf Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Balloon Belly Mollies
3 swordtail mollies
2 cory cats
2 dwarf frogs

Ideas?

generally you shouldnt put betta's with gourami...but saying that....i have.... I seem to be lucky on the fish i choose and get very well tempered ones...all i would suggest is that if you was to do it, then make sure you have a back up tank ready incase :)

and the dwarf frog could possibly pose a threat, only heard a few stories about them but still something to be aware of...corys would not be a problem and neither should the mollies

I recommend you get 4 more cory cats. They are a schooling fish and like to be in groups of at least 6. And you have ample room for that number in a 55g.
(Make sure they're all the same pattern, that makes them even more at home)

As far as a female betta..
Well generally anabantoids (sp?) (Fish that can breath air), shouldn't be kept together. Both Gourami and Betta's have a laberynth organ which allows them to breathe air. It's just a rule of thumb, sort of like the 1 inch per gal rule.
Males especially may see other fish with flowing fins and brighter colors as a threat and become hostile.
I would say a female Betta would be alright, especially if two of your three gourami are female, as they will assist in keeping the male preoccupied. 
However if you get an aggressive female Betta she may see your Gourami's as a threat and attack them, so be warry. 

Thanks! I'm working on getting more cory cats but all the local shops only have small ones , like half an inch, which seem too small to thrive in my tank as the last one I bought under 2 inches died within 2 days. I have one female that is blue and white and a jumper, the other is not as active and is dark colored. I might try out the dark girl but It might not be worth stressing her out.

As for bright colors, My mollies are all varied, and although their is some nipping between the gourami's it's not too bad. I've seen absolutely no aggression from my two frogs either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back