Should I move the rest of my Honey Gouramis to my 10 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ken Sauer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 125 Gallon and a 10 gallon. In the 125 I have approx. 30 small fish including Zebra Danios, Candy Canes and Cherry Barbs. I did have Corydoras in the 125 but 6 of them died. I believe they could not compete with the others for food. I moved the remaining 4 corydoras to the 10 gallon about a month ago and they have grown and are thriving.
Since then, I purchased 5 Honey Gouramis. About a week after entering the 125 1 honey gourami was on the bottom on its side. I transferred it to the 10 gallon and it died a few days later.
This week I noticed another honey gourami was looking pale and listless. I thought about this at work and decided I'd move him to the 10 gallon when I got home. When I got home he was doing much worse--pretty much like the first honey g. that died. I put him in the 10 gallon 2 nights ago and he is barely holding on to life, laying on his side on the bottom, coming up for air and going back to the bottom. I expect him to die soon.
The honey g's are so docile and shy. It is hard to feed them in the 125. The danios, candy canes and cherry barbs go after the food; the honey g's swim away from it.
So, I'm thinking about moving my remaining 3 honey g's from the 125 into the 10 gallon so they do not end up like the other two. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I don't think a 10 gallon is big enough for 4 honey gouramis. You could keep one in a 10 gallon but probably need at least 20g for a pair. You could possibly treat it as a temporary hospital tank since they are not doing well in the 125.

How are your water parameters?

I don't think a 10 gallon is big enough for 4 honey gouramis. You could keep one in a 10 gallon but probably need at least 20g for a pair. You could possibly treat it as a temporary hospital tank since they are not doing well in the 125.

How are your water parameters?
"How are your water parameters?"

That's the critical question, for starters

What kind of corys do you have?

Honey gouramis are indeed very shy and will easily be our competed by the other fish you have in the 125. What is the current stocking and filtration in the 10 gallon? You may be moving them over to a tank that will be overcrowded and under-filtered. Honey gouramis also love to eat algae, do you have any plants, rocks or other decor with algae on it? They will forage off of that all day and it will help supplement their diet. Unfortunately the smaller gourami species have been inbred and a lot of their health and longevity has declined as a result.

Honey gouramis are indeed very shy and will easily be our competed by the other fish you have in the 125. What is the current stocking and filtration in the 10 gallon? You may be moving them over to a tank that will be overcrowded and under-filtered. Honey gouramis also love to eat algae, do you have any plants, rocks or other decor with algae on it? They will forage off of that all day and it will help supplement their diet. Unfortunately the smaller gourami species have been inbred and a lot of their health and longevity has declined as a result.
Currently, there are 8 baby cherry barbs (waiting for them to mature before putting them in 125) and 4 Cory's that I plan to keep in there indefinitely. There are 4 plants, two decorative hiding places, a bio ball and the aqueon 10 gallon filter that comes with the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back