Should I give them away?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping for a quick answer as I'm going to my LFS this Wednesday and my convicts went psychotic over their reflections, they attack their reflections and sometimes will attack themselves.
I'm looking forward now into giving them away next week as they also limit my stocking, I really want to get corydoras and kuhli loaches and put my shrimp in the tank without worrying about them getting eaten or brutally attacked and I also want a peacful community tank without getting fish stressed and with ripped fins with a chance of finrot, one case of fin rot with my female swordtail because of my convicts. I really think I should actually give them away.

If you feel you want to give them away, then you can do it. It's your animals and you have full responsibility for them.

If you feel you want to give them away, then you can do it. It's your animals and you have full responsibility for them.
Yes I know. Its just that I don't want to be dealing with their problems and I would be more happier and I could get cories, kuhlis and put in there my shrimp. What do you think? Do you think I should give them away?

Honestly, it is your decision to make, not mine. If you feel you cannot care for them, then you can give them to your LFS.
When I think about putting in there my shrimp and gettting kuhlis and cories while looking at convicts getting more crazy and at ripped fins of my beloved fish and my beloved female swordtails finrot makes me really want to give convicts away. I think I will give them away actually.

I ended up giving my cichlids away because they were so aggressive, They attacked my other fish which I had to move and only left a pleco alone. They are nice looking fish but I have not had any since that bad experience.

I ended up giving my cichlids away because they were so aggressive, They attacked my other fish which I had to move and only left a pleco alone. They are nice looking fish but I have not had any since that bad experience.
Yeah, I just kept having my other fish wih ripped fins, now my beloved swordtail female has fin rot thanks to my convicts, and I also miss my other fish being in my larger tank and not being constantly stressed.

Haha,, make your mind up. Either they eat shrimp or not ? Not hard, they ate mine.

Haha,, make your mind up. Either they eat shrimp or not ? Not hard, they ate mine.
They don't eat shrimp 100%, sure they will eat one or two shrimplets. You either can research this on Google or just doubt what I tell you, I have done my job on researching stuff about corydoras and kuhli loaches as I want to keep them.

It's up to you.

If you want to keep cichlids, you can rehome one of the convicts and break up that pair.

What size tank do you have?
How am I supposed to break them apart when they are so close together.

I am not sure on the tank size, its either 31, 30 or 29 gallons.
It is too big for 29 but too small for 30 gallons.
Its dimensions are -> W- 35cm, H- 50cm, L- 80cm
Its just the height that confuses me, there is a wooden bit that is 4.6 cm high.
So 50-4.6= 45.4cm (=45 rounded) then I calculated tank size and it showed me that the tank is 29 UK gallons (30 US gallons).

It does not help that they appear to be protecting fry in the video you showed.

Convict cichlids get along with arguable no other Cichlids. They are some of the most aggressive fish ounce for ounce that I've ever seen. They most certainly do NOT belong in any tank with cories, swordtails or Kuhili loaches. That's torture to the other fish and will certainly result in their deaths.

I would return/give away those fish IMMEDIATELY.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back