Should i get the eheim 600 or 1000 for a fluval flex 123l?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It would help to know the intended fish, and if live plants are intended.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Definitely live plants, lots of them. As for fish, I haven't decided but probably 15 cardinals, some honey gourami's and some ottos or Siamese algae eaters if I have algae blooms (which is very likely). Even if I don't choose those fish it will be that sort of tank with schooling fish, a center piece and some bottom dwellers.

When Byron asked about fish, he was referring to different species needing either slow moving or fast moving water. The fish you've mentioned need slow moving water so either a filter which delivers a low turnover in litres/hour or a filter with a flow rate which can be turned down.

The species you've mentioned brings another point - they are all soft water fish and you give your location as London which has a reputation for hard to very hard water. How hard is your water, and if it is hard, do you intend using RO water to reduce the hardness?

Agree. With the mentioned fish, and live plants, you do not want a lot of water current, so the canister filter chosen should be one that is rated for the tank volume, or slightly less even. For example, the smallest size in the Eheim 600 range is sufficient. I couldn't find the Fluval online, but Eheim have a well-deserved reputation for reliability. When I had canisters I had Eheim, and they operated for 20 years.

When Byron asked about fish, he was referring to different species needing either slow moving or fast moving water. The fish you've mentioned need slow moving water so either a filter which delivers a low turnover in litres/hour or a filter with a flow rate which can be turned down.

The species you've mentioned brings another point - they are all soft water fish and you give your location as London which has a reputation for hard to very hard water. How hard is your water, and if it is hard, do you intend using RO water to reduce the hardness?
They are used to the hard water so I'm not worried about the fish but because of the plants I'm mixing ro water 60-40 to get about 140ppm.

Most reactions

Back