Should I Get Ghost Shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if you think ghost shrimp are good tank mates.  If you could tell me your experience with them or ones you have heard about that would be awesome! I know they are compatible with my fish, but I don't know if people have ever had issues with them.  So any stories and advise is very welcome!!!!!!!   
good.gif

Most shrimps are pretty good tank mates, just the fish that are sometimes not good tank mates to shrimps!

Depends on what fish stocking you have.

I have new guppy fry going in fairly soon, tetras: white skirt and neon.  zebra danio, and one female mollie.  I may have a few more mollies soon and I am planing on getting some new plants.

Yup, should be ok, but has been known that fish (esp skirt tetras) may peck at shrimps, will certainly eat the shrimp fry for sure.

If you have plenty of plants, moss and hiding places for the shrimps, then should be ok, keep an eye on them though.

I tried ghosts with mollies and neons. The fish slowly but surely got them all.

1/2 to3/4 of an inch. They didn't last very long in the tank.

I tried ghost shrimp once...... they got sucked up into the filter and that was the last of them.....

My filter isn't super powerful, well when I put it down.  Do you think it would be ok? plus the filter hose thingy is fairly small (holes in it) and is about halfway down the tank, but I can change the hose thingy's height to go up higher.  

Do I need a ton on plants to keep them alive?

bluesword23516 said:
My filter isn't super powerful, well when I put it down.  Do you think it would be ok? plus the filter hose thingy is fairly small (holes in it) and is about halfway down the tank, but I can change the hose thingy's height to go up higher.  

Do I need a ton on plants to keep them alive?

Ghosties don't really need plants. but they prefer cover in plants like cabomba and other fie leaved plants.

ghost shrimp eat fry too. they are omnivores and will eat anything too small or too weak that they can eat

Oh that is good to know, thanks! I think I am done with livebearers, just so inbred and because of that they die quicker and have a higher chance of getting sick. 

bluesword23516 said:
Oh that is good to know, thanks! I think I am done with livebearers, just so inbred and because of that they die quicker and have a higher chance of getting sick. 

Buying wild caught fish like most rare species can reduce the chance of inbreeding by a big shot. There are more livebearers out there you know

I know, but the problem is the stores. They often don't care for the live bearers like they should and they get sick. One brought in worms to my tank and there aren't any other stores I can get them from.

bluesword23516 said:
I know, but the problem is the stores. They often don't care for the live bearers like they should and they get sick. One brought in worms to my tank and there aren't any other stores I can get them from.
Buy online like from aquabid. buy from trusted sellers. be sure to quarantine new arrivals though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back