Should i get a baby reef shark

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fluffyk

Reaction score
So i hace a 7000 gallon tank sitting in the garage its saltwater and idk if i should get a reef shark for it if i do get a reef shark can i add more species to the tank or does otvall have to be predatory fish

Reef sharks shouldn't be kept in captivity because they are an open water fish and there isn't an aquarium big enough for them.

If you want sharks, look at cat sharks and Port Jackson sharks. They don't grow as big and don't need as much space to swim about.

If you want something different, get some cuttlefish. They only live for a couple of years and are really interesting creatures.

Reef sharks can be kept in aquariums, however I don't think 7,000gallons would suffice. I would leave that job to reputable large aquariums that have tanks that are 100,000gallons plus for creatures like these. I have heard of sharks like blacktips and lemon sharks being kept in 25,000 gallon tanks, though.

It's really not a very good idea to start this species of shark in an aquarium, think about these:
Horned shark - its length reaches 1120 cm. In the aquarium, they can be kept with catsharks.
Catshark - with proper care, the length of the individual reaches 1100 cm. It is bottom-dwelling, as well as heat-loving. To keep this fish, you need to choose an aquarium of at least 1.3 thousand liters.

It's really not a very good idea to start this species of shark in an aquarium, think about these:
Horned shark - its length reaches 1120 cm. In the aquarium, they can be kept with catsharks.
Catshark - with proper care, the length of the individual reaches 1100 cm. It is bottom-dwelling, as well as heat-loving. To keep this fish, you need to choose an aquarium of at least 1.3 thousand liters.
The last reply on this thread was three months ago. No need to bump a thread :).

Another note, OP of this thread has a tank of 7,000 gallons, so that well exceeds the number of gallons you suggested for the shark species you put, which are unrelated to the one OP was thinking of?

So i hace a 7000 gallon tank sitting in the garage its saltwater and idk if i should get a reef shark for it if i do get a reef shark can i add more species to the tank or does otvall have to be predatory fish

If you are talking about a Requiem Shark (ie Black Tip Reef Shark), I would say definitely not. Virtually impossible to rehome something like that. About the only thing that might work would be the Atlantic Sharpnose, although they tend to do better in small groups. Realistically though I would look at something like an Epaulette, Catsharks, Port Jackson, Smooth-hound

Most reactions

Back