Should I Get 40G Sump For My 30Litre Tropical Fishtank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

greenharmonium

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 30litre tropical aquarium. My current filtration is an Eheim 600. I've adapted a special system which reduces the water-flow from the outlet, so the fish etc only get a normal water movement.

I'm thinking of building my own sump for this aquarium, around 40 gallons. I'll be adapting an old fishtank in our garage.

Do you think it's too big for this size aquarium? I like to over-do it on the filtration.

My water is always perfect, all year round.

Thanks for any advice!

Gabby

I wouldn't worry so much about the size of the filter but worry more about how much water it will actually move.  Aim for around 5x water turn over in one hour.  That is a good benchmark.  

Although you do have a very small tank, the 40 gallon sump would probably be large enough, with the right size pump, to filter tanks upwards of 200+ gallons.  
I love sump filters, they are my favorite, however in your case I would personally stick with your current filter setup.  Or, maybe upgrade to a larger tank and then run the sump.  

You would actually be better off using the 40 gallon tank as the main tank instead of the sump and using your 30 liter tank as the sump filter.

fatheadminnow said:

You would actually be better off using the 40 gallon tank as the main tank instead of the sump and using your 30 liter tank as the sump filter.

i was thinking the same thing. 

Most reactions

Back