Should I fertilize my plants and if so, how?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hokieokieamy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have never used fertilizer in my tanks and will admit, the plants usually don’t do well...EXCEPT for in my new tank, they seem to be doing well so far. I currently have an amazon sword and two anubias. I keep my tank at full light for 12 hours a day. Do you think I should fertilize my plants and if so, how should I go about doing it?

thanks!

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders and they reauire root tabs and anubias' are low light plants and don't require fertilisers

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders and they reauire root tabs and anubias' are low light plants and don't require fertilisers
Okay, do you recommend a root tab and how much should be administered?

Okay, do you recommend a root tab and how much should be administered?
Yes, root tabs are good for Amazon swords.

I would “dose” once a week. Just stick one right next to your plant. (In the substrate)

I would “dose” once a week. Just stick one right next to your plant. (In the substrate)
Do I just put a single root tab? I am looking at the seachem flourish tabs and It says to add 12 tabs per 20 gallons, which my tank is 30 gallons so I would need to add more, but that seems like a lot especially for just one amazon sword. I plan on getting more later though.

Do I just put a single root tab? I am looking at the seachem flourish tabs and It says to add 12 tabs per 20 gallons, which my tank is 30 gallons so I would need to add more, but that seems like a lot especially for just one amazon sword. I plan on getting more later though.
One (maybe two) is enough for one amazon sword

Just to clarify something...the substrate or root tabs are not dosed once a week. And I would not put them around the substrate but only use them with individual plants, such as individual sword plants. You insert one close to the crown of the plant and it will last a period of months depending upon the brand. I have been using Seachem's Flourish Tabs for over a decade now, with excellent results. One tab every 3-4 months per sword plant.

The tab might provide sufficient for the sword plants, depending upon your fish load (fish food turns into plant nutrients as it is broken down by bacteria in the substrate) and the GH of the water. Non-substrate rooted pants obviously will not benefit from the tabs, so a comprehensive liquid might be advisable. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is an excellent product. Do not get other products in this line, they are not needed here and can cause problems for plants and fish.

Aquatic plants take up nutrients via roots and leaves; some nutrients are only assimilated via the leaves. So the comprehensive liquid will provide all plants, while the substrate tabs help the larger plants get more of some of the nutrients.

Do I just put a single root tab? I am looking at the seachem flourish tabs and It says
Just to clarify something...the substrate or root tabs are not dosed once a week. And I would not put them around the substrate but only use them with individual plants, such as individual sword plants. You insert one close to the crown of the plant and it will last a period of months depending upon the brand. I have been using Seachem's Flourish Tabs for over a decade now, with excellent results. One tab every 3-4 months per sword plant.

The tab might provide sufficient for the sword plants, depending upon your fish load (fish food turns into plant nutrients as it is broken down by bacteria in the substrate) and the GH of the water. Non-substrate rooted pants obviously will not benefit from the tabs, so a comprehensive liquid might be advisable. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is an excellent product. Do not get other products in this line, they are not needed here and can cause problems for plants and fish.

Aquatic plants take up nutrients via roots and leaves; some nutrients are only assimilated via the leaves. So the comprehensive liquid will provide all plants, while the substrate tabs help the larger plants get more of some of the nutrients.
is this the ones you speak of?

Attachments

• 577DB2A4-744F-4F1B-BF6B-07473D15DBC3.png
    577DB2A4-744F-4F1B-BF6B-07473D15DBC3.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 315
Do I just put a single root tab? I am looking at the seachem flourish tabs and It says

is this the ones you speak of?

Yes, those are the Tabs but only use one next to the individual large sword plants. The liquid is this one:

1588951885786.png

I think their directions are aimed at people with a heavily planted tank. Using 1 tab for every 4 to 6 inches radius is pointless where there are no plant roots. With one plant in the substrate, you don't need tabs except where that plant is. And they do say to replace every 3 to 4 months.

The anubias plants should fixed to decor, their roots won't be in the substrate so they need a liquid feed.

Yes, just 1 root tabs per clump of plants or per rhizome.

Thanks for all the information guys!

I also got a java fern today. So is ok to administer a substrate fertilizer and liquid one at the same time? If so, what’s a safe amount of liquid for java fern and two anubias?

Thanks for all the information guys!

I also got a java fern today. So is ok to administer a substrate fertilizer and liquid one at the same time? If so, what’s a safe amount of liquid for java fern and two anubias?

These are slow growing plants, and that means they need less nutrients. Liquid fertilizer added to the tank water will benefit these two plants, whereas substrate tab fertilizer will not because they are not rooted in the substrate. I assume you know not to "plant" Anubias and Java Fern, if you bury the rhizome it can often rot; attach them to wood, rock, decor.

As for how much liquid fertilizer, that depends upon the entire system and the brand. These plants on their own willnot use much nutrient, but if you have other plants there will need to be sufficient added.

These are slow growing plants, and that means they need less nutrients. Liquid fertilizer added to the tank water will benefit these two plants, whereas substrate tab fertilizer will not because they are not rooted in the substrate. I assume you know not to "plant" Anubias and Java Fern, if you bury the rhizome it can often rot; attach them to wood, rock, decor.

As for how much liquid fertilizer, that depends upon the entire system and the brand. These plants on their own willnot use much nutrient, but if you have other plants there will need to be sufficient added.
Thank you, Byron. I bought the liquid version of that seachem flourish you mentioned. My tank is roughly 30 gallons of water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back