Should I 'double Dose' For Velvet?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently treating my tank for Velvet (which seems to be doing the trick - the fish look soooooo much happier). Im using Waterlife Protozin, which says to dose on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th days. My 3rd day was yesterday, so I'm seeking advice now while I have 2 days 'free' lol. I've heard that it's best to wait a week then dose again to kill off any remaining nasties - is that right? Also, can I do a water change during these 2 slow days - I was thinking of doing one on Wednesday just before adding the last dose? If it is better to double dose, when & how long after the first round should I use carbon in the filter for? Sory for all the questions - I just want to make sure I'm not fishing half my tank out again :( .
Thanks in advance
Dan

Dont double dose on the last dose, overdosing can be harmful to the fish and your filter bacteria. I wouldnt do a w/c either until a few days after the course has finished, then add carbon to the filter to remove any remaining meds.

You can do a second dose a week after finishing the 1st if you want to. Then you can remove the carbon again. You will need new carbon to remove any remaining meds after the second dose is finished, same as the 1st.

Dont double dose on the last dose, overdosing can be harmful to the fish and your filter bacteria. I wouldnt do a w/c either until a few days after the course has finished, then add carbon to the filter to remove any remaining meds.

You can do a second dose a week after finishing the 1st if you want to. Then you can remove the carbon again. You will need new carbon to remove any remaining meds after the second dose is finished, same as the 1st.

Sorry meant double course, not dose :S I'll probably do another course just to be sure - not planning on having carbon in the filter anyway permanently so may as well use it lol thanks for your help :D

Velvet far worse than whitepost and take longer to get rid of.
It can take two rounds just follow med instuctions.

Velvet far worse than whitepost and take longer to get rid of.
It can take two rounds just follow med instuctions.
Thanks Wilder, I'd made my mind up to do 2 courses, but that confirms it now :D at least my fish are all happier - can't believe the difference now, just wish I'd bought this stuff sooner :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back