Should I Change My Stocking?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SamLovesCorys

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Norfolk, UK
I'm thinking of removing my rummynoses from my 18 gallon tank, as I bought them for how active they were, and I don't see that kind of activity in my tank- I worry that it's too small for them with all the plants. They do move around a lot, but they don't have room for their classic up-and-down sweeps as a shoal. I don't think i'd get any replacement fish, as the tank is heavily planted, cutting down on swimming space. What do you think I should do?

The other option is to take out both the rummynoses and the black neons and replace them with 1 shoal of some kind of tetra or rasbora. Anyone have any ideas for more interesting shoaling fish? My water is quite hard and pH8.

This is the stocking for my tank, if you can't see my signature:

18 gallon rectangular planted tank
2 Laetacara dorsigera/flamannellus; 6 Black neon Tetras; 7 Rummynose Tetras; 2 Guppies; 4 Sterbai Cories; 2 Three-line Cories; 1 Assassin Snail; One guppy fry called Old Gregg

maybe take a couple of plants out. they are actually not very active fish. mine mostly stay at the bottom - middle of the tank. the only reason i got mine is because of their colours. thats what we love most about them. You could take both out or decide which ones you like best and keep them rather than getting rid of both. Personally i would keep the same amount of one lot of the tetras that you have. the 7 rummy nose tetras would be fine or the 6 black tetras. I have a shoal of 4 at the moment and they all stick together peacefully. they enjoy peaceful tanks nowadays and yours seems to have reasonably quiet fish which is proberbly why they are also being unactive.
hope this helps a little.

I'm thinking of removing my rummynoses from my 18 gallon tank, as I bought them for how active they were, and I don't see that kind of activity in my tank- I worry that it's too small for them with all the plants. They do move around a lot, but they don't have room for their classic up-and-down sweeps as a shoal. I don't think i'd get any replacement fish, as the tank is heavily planted, cutting down on swimming space. What do you think I should do?

The other option is to take out both the rummynoses and the black neons and replace them with 1 shoal of some kind of tetra or rasbora. Anyone have any ideas for more interesting shoaling fish? My water is quite hard and pH8.

This is the stocking for my tank, if you can't see my signature:

18 gallon rectangular planted tank
2 Laetacara dorsigera/flamannellus; 6 Black neon Tetras; 7 Rummynose Tetras; 2 Guppies; 4 Sterbai Cories; 2 Three-line Cories; 1 Assassin Snail; One guppy fry called Old Gregg

2' tank?
Rummys IMO need room.

maybe take a couple of plants out. they are actually not very active fish.

i'd counter this by saying that mine do nothing but, school constantly.However i try to keep the numbers above 10.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back