Should I be concerned with this algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Iā€™ve noticed this algae growing on my artificial plants in my African cichlid tank, what type of algae is this and am I to be concerned?

Water parameters -

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -10
Phosphate - 1.8+ (my test only goes to 1.8)

Do you have a photo of the algae? If it is a true algae, it is harmless as an algae. Assuming there are no live plants, then algae will use the light and nutrients and oxygen is produced (though less than would be by higher plants).

Is the nitrate at 10 ppm in your source (tap) water? Or is it occurring within the aquarium (i.e., your tap water is zero nitrate)?

Phosphate is less of an issue, and 2 ppm or less is not a problem, but phosphate does increase with fish foods so feed sparingly and be thorough with water changes and filter cleaning.

Do you have a photo of the algae? If it is a true algae, it is harmless as an algae. Assuming there are no live plants, then algae will use the light and nutrients and oxygen is produced (though less than would be by higher plants).

Is the nitrate at 10 ppm in your source (tap) water? Or is it occurring within the aquarium (i.e., your tap water is zero nitrate)?

Phosphate is less of an issue, and 2 ppm or less is not a problem, but phosphate does increase with fish foods so feed sparingly and be thorough with water changes and filter cleaning.

I took a photo and forgot to attach

Below is the algae. No the nitrate is from my fish tank not my tap water.

I donā€™t actually know what my phosphate is exactly itā€™s just my test goes up to 1.8 and itā€™s much bluer than the end value

Attachments

• 71E9C2C3-64E1-4D90-A597-E6C8438E7B9A.jpeg
    71E9C2C3-64E1-4D90-A597-E6C8438E7B9A.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 74
I took a photo and forgot to attach

Below is the algae. No the nitrate is from my fish tank not my tap water.

I donā€™t actually know what my phosphate is exactly itā€™s just my test goes up to 1.8 and itā€™s much bluer than the end value

Yes, that is a form of black brush algae. Keeping it out of the aquarium will be difficult, in fact impossible, since there are no live plants to use the nutrients/light. But not a problem, just keep it in check with maintenance.

In more than 30 years of fish I have never bothered or tested for phosphate. I wouldn't be concerned over this.

Yes, that is a form of black brush algae. Keeping it out of the aquarium will be difficult, in fact impossible, since there are no live plants to use the nutrients/light. But not a problem, just keep it in check with maintenance.

In more than 30 years of fish I have never bothered or tested for phosphate. I wouldn't be concerned over this.

Okay would you reccommend scrubbing the plants regularly to remove or just let algae eaters deal with it?

If they are plastic plants you can take them out and clean them with a toothbrush or soak them in bleach before rinsing well. Or you can let the fish graze on them, depending on the fish you have.

If you put some floating plants in the tank they will help reduce algae problems. Water Sprite and Duckweed are 2 good floating plants.

If they are plastic plants you can take them out and clean them with a toothbrush or soak them in bleach before rinsing well. Or you can let the fish graze on them, depending on the fish you have.

If you put some floating plants in the tank they will help reduce algae problems. Water Sprite and Duckweed are 2 good floating plants.

Will they work with African cichlids?

Will they work with African cichlids?
They tend to treat live plants as salads, don't they? If so, then perhaps not worth buying them as an expensive snack! :lol:

I have actually seen fake floating plants shown somewhere here before.... Personally I think they looks kinda tacky, but I'm a live plant snob and don't keep plant eaters, so ignore me! Just saying that they're out there, if you care to look. Make sure they're one actually designed for the aquarium though, not the cheap "floating lily" dollar store type decor that is likely to contain dyes and toxins.

They tend to treat live plants as salads, don't they? If so, then perhaps not worth buying them as an expensive snack! :lol:

I have actually seen fake floating plants shown somewhere here before.... Personally I think they looks kinda tacky, but I'm a live plant snob and don't keep plant eaters, so ignore me! Just saying that they're out there, if you care to look. Make sure they're one actually designed for the aquarium though, not the cheap "floating lily" dollar store type decor that is likely to contain dyes and toxins.

Yeah my cichlids donā€™t take to plants very well haha but I did read on another thread there are types of plants that could work, sometimes an expensive gamble though

Yeah my cichlids donā€™t take to plants very well haha but I did read on another thread there are types of plants that could work, sometimes an expensive gamble though

Ooohh, could you link that thread, please? Really curious what kind of plants were suggested!

I just dropped Ā£35 on plants an hour ago, so I agree it can be an expensive gamble! But not always. Searching in fish groups for hobbyists local to you can lead to getting plant trimmings from their tanks. I just traded some of excess plants with someone and got three new buces in exchange! I know I'm perfectly happy to give trimmings from my plants to anyone who wants to collect them, since they need cutting back often, and just go in the bin otherwise. I like when they're useful to other hobbyists.

You can also get some bargain plants on ebay. Can also try getting one or two of the suggested plants, propagating them on in a container, then placing your own cuttings in the cichlid tank to test it out. Then if they get eaten, you haven't sacrificed the main plant and can sell it on or use in another tank.

Ooohh, could you link that thread, please? Really curious what kind of plants were suggested!

I just dropped Ā£35 on plants an hour ago, so I agree it can be an expensive gamble! But not always. Searching in fish groups for hobbyists local to you can lead to getting plant trimmings from their tanks. I just traded some of excess plants with someone and got three new buces in exchange! I know I'm perfectly happy to give trimmings from my plants to anyone who wants to collect them, since they need cutting back often, and just go in the bin otherwise. I like when they're useful to other hobbyists.

You can also get some bargain plants on ebay. Can also try getting one or two of the suggested plants, propagating them on in a container, then placing your own cuttings in the cichlid tank to test it out. Then if they get eaten, you haven't sacrificed the main plant and can sell it on or use in another tank.
I have kept Giant Vallisneria and Ludwigia with Cichlids, also Java ferns which fish hate the taste of (Java ferns produce a toxin that fish hate)

I have kept Giant Vallisneria and Ludwigia with Cichlids, also Java ferns which fish hate the taste of (Java ferns produce a toxin that fish hate)
Urgh, just a shame that java fern has a tendency to get really ugly! I really dislike it. But that's a matter of personal taste!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back