Should I Add Mts Snails To My Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello

I have been considering introducing MTS snails to my tank since I decided on sand substrate and cannot decide if it will be a good idea.  I already have 5 Nerite snails, a handful of pond snails (numbers staying low), corys and amano shrimp as my clean-up crew.

My main though is that the MTS will turn over the sand in areas I cannot reach and possibly help the plants.  I have seen MTS in one of my LFS and they have taken over quite a few tanks!!

It's impossible for me to overfeed as my fish literally clean everything from the tank.  Would it be a good idea to introduce MTS?  Any thoughts or experiences welcome.

Thanks!

well I added them for that same reason, and now I'm looking for ways to downsize, not eradicate, but downsize.  Getting some lettuce.  But I do like watching them, and they do stir up that sand.  I know they say they don't eat plants but mine are always on mine, but they could just be "hedge trimming" the parts that have already died.  They do however multiply fast, so if you want some, only get a couple, I started with 5...5....and now I have approximately a billion. So, if you don't have over feeding problems like I do, you should be good.

Hmmm, thats kind of what I thought might happen.  I am happy to see lots of them moving around and am happy for them to have a chomp on plants, but I do not want them to be over the top and taking over.

I think, if you've got pond snails that are't getting out of hand, you should be fine with MTS as well.

The tank is kept fairly spottless by the Nerites and Amano so I guess there is not too much food for the pond snails.  I will have to try and convince my LFS to sell/give me some MTS.  They were quite wary of giving any away as they think they are the devil!!! 
devil.gif

214jay said:
The tank is kept fairly spottless by the Nerites and Amano so I guess there is not too much food for the pond snails.  I will have to try and convince my LFS to sell/give me some MTS.  They were quite wary of giving any away as they think they are the devil!!! 
devil.gif
If you don't have any luck, I could send you a few; I've got a couple of tanks that get overfed, for one reason and another, and I've got loads spare!

That could be an easier option and a very kind offer as the LFS were reluctant.  I would be happy to cover postage (Paypal?)
smile.png

I can do that, no worries; PM me and we'll sort out the details :)

I initially put 2 mts in my tank, I now way too many. My problem with them is they eat my Vallis. I used to have loads of lush healthy stuff but now it's sparse. I hold on to them because they apparently keep the sand healthy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back