should i add more fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so i have a 35 gallon healvily planted tank with bristlenose breeding and abit of guppys is it ok to add some eletric blue acaras and grow them up

I am pretty sure the chiclids will eat guppies and other smaller plecos maybe
also, a 35 gallon is too small for all of the fish combined

I am pretty sure the chiclids will eat guppies and other smaller plecos maybe
also, a 35 gallon is too small for all of the fish combined
If Electric Blue Acara are the same thing which used to just be called Blue Acara I've kept them in the past along with Yellow Acara. If this is the case or they have the same type of behavior they will definitely eat the guppies. I used to feed my Blue and Yellow Acara feeder guppies and golds.

Blue Acara can do fine in a 35 gallon tank although it is sort of border line. The thing is that there would also be the guppies (for a short time) and the plecos. Especially the plecos will add a large bio load. Actually, if Electric Blues are the same as the old Blues, they can get to be 6+ inches and also add a lot of bio load. I personally would not add the Acaras.

You could look at some types of dwarf SA cichlids to lessen the bio load but they would still be a danger to the guppies.

There is also the fact that SA cichlids need soft water while guppies, being live bearers, need harder water. Any way you look at it it is just not a good match.

Blue Acara can do fine in a 35 gallon tank although it is sort of border line. The thing is that there would also be the guppies (for a short time) and the plecos. Especially the plecos will add a large bio load. Actually, if Electric Blues are the same as the old Blues, they can get to be 6+ inches and also add a lot of bio load. I personally would not add the Acaras.

There is also the fact that SA cichlids need soft water while guppies, being live bearers, need harder water. Any way you look at it it is just not a good match.
yeah, i think the minimum for acaras is 30 but with a lot of plecos and guppies they wouldn't fit

If Electric Blue Acara are the same thing which used to just be called Blue Acara I've kept them in the past along with Yellow Acara. If this is the case or they have the same type of behavior they will definitely eat the guppies. I used to feed my Blue and Yellow Acara feeder guppies and golds.

You could look at some types of dwarf SA cichlids to lessen the bio load but they would still be a danger to the guppies.

The guppy’s I’m not worried about but electric blue acaras are Abit diferent the max size they get is 5 inches and the plecos are bristlenose and ther not to big and Thers lots of plants

Thers like 3 pairs and they breed lots
Even leaving out the guppies a pair of any kind of Acara and three pairs of pleco are too much of a bio load for a 35 gallon tank. Everything MAY seem fine but it is not healthy for the fish and they will likely be short lived. BN plecos reach 3-5 inches so let's say an average of 4 inches. Then you have the pair of Acara that reach around 5 inches. Bring back the old school rule of thumb of 1 inch of fish for each gallon of water it would equal 34 inches of fish then add the pleco fry and you are above even this old rule.

Now consider that Acara and especially plecos carry an above average bio load and the tank is not healthy in this respect. Everything may look fine but it really is not. Now consider that your 35 gallon tank does not hold 35 gallons of water. When you consider the substrate, plants and wood and such your tank probably holds 31-32 gallons of water.

Personally I would get another 30 gallon and to hold 2 pair of the plecos or rehome 2 pairs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back