Should I add Chocolate and Samurai gouramis to my 75-gallon tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crb3566

Reaction score
(of course, I don't mean add all of them immediately just get the water in a condition to support them. )
I just finished setting up my 75-gallon aquarium. I don't have any aggressive fish, and I have lots of plants including some top water ones and 2 can filters with peat moss and a heater. Should I go for it or just take my 30-gallon tank and make it just for them?
I was thinking about adding some guppy grass to help give them some more hiding spots and cover the light Aswell add some driftwood. Please LMK your opinion.

These fish need very specific water conditions. Unless you have your tank set up to match the conditions that they need they will not do well and die in your 75. Do you have your 75 set up as a soft water tank with a pH of four? Are you able to maintain the pH of four in a tank that size if you answered any of those as no then these aren't the fish for this tank.

You make some good points although I can maintain a ph of 4 to 5 it may not be worth the hassle for the other fish. Thank you! Last thing Will guppy grass be a good top water plant for them or should I use other top water plants?
These fish need very specific water conditions. Unless you have your tank set up to match the conditions that they need they will not do well and die in your 75. Do you have your 75 set up as a soft water tank with a pH of four? Are you able to maintain the pH of four in a tank that size if you answered any of those as no then these aren't the fish for this tank.

All the plants I've had I've never had guppy grass so I couldn't tell you how well it would do in a pH of 4 to 5.

When one starts to play in acid waters there are not a lot of plants. I keep altum angels. In the wild they can be in water just under 4 pH. My first few tries I had the tank at 6.0 and then 4.2. The thing about acid water is it is also soft. So the TDS matters. I lost a number of Altums before I got it right.

Low pH equates with low KH and soft equates to low GH. It also means low TDS (conductivity). Most plants need more minerals than will be in such water, Algae can thrive.

I was tempted early on to do Licorice gourami (Parosphromenus deissneri) or else one of the two species of Chocolate (Sphaerichthys vaillanti). The needed conditions and foods put me off and I never kept them. I think they would be neat to keep but I would do a species tank with them maybe a 20L. I have kept mostly warmer water fish and the Licorice would have been my preference.

They all need stained slow moving water and like live foods. A 75 would be way more than needed I think. My altums are at about 85F and 6.0 these days.

Here is a vid of Altums in the wild- the Rio Atabapo. The strain of Altum there are lovely. Sorry it is in German but there is an English voice over and sub-titles. I shows what tannin stained acid water habitat looks like and you will not see plants, only algae..

I've had a pair of samurai chocolate gourami for about a year in a 20 gallon long. They're in great condition, and actually quite robust in my opinion. They haven't successfully bred, but I see courtship behavior all the time. They eat flake food no problem. I did get excellent quality fish. The LFS I bought them from said they had never seen a shipment of chocolate gourami in as good condition as the shipment I got mine from. I just tested the tank today:

pH: 7.8
KH: 1 deg
GH: 3 deg
NO3: 10-20 ppm
PO4: 1 ppm

Soft water does not always mean acidity. My water is quite soft, but the pH is consistently around 7.6-7.8. I feel like chocolate gourami are a group of fishes that suffer from low quality shipment methods. I imagine most chocolate gouramis available have spent ages in transit. They're all wild caught as far as I know, and they must be kept in temporary housing before being shipped internationally. By the time they reach the customer they're often in such bad shape that they don't stand a chance. Be sure to observe the fish carefully at the store before purchasing.

You make some good points although I can maintain a ph of 4 to 5 it may not be worth the hassle for the other fish. Thank you! Last thing Will guppy grass be a good top water plant for them or should I use other top water plants?
You've clearly decided you are getting them no matter what anyone says! I don't know why you asked.

If they come in healthy, as @threecharacters noted, they can survive. It's a big if and it doesn't happen often. In mineral rich water they are very prone to skin parasites and disease. I would do some serious research on them before buying. They are not an easy fish.

I hav not kept the Samurai (Sphaerichthys vaillanti) but I have twice kept and spawned the Chocolate species S. osphromenoides and I have kept the Licorice Parosphromenus deissneri. I only could get one of the latter, and it lived for a couple years. My second time with S. osphromenoides started out with six fish and they were doing extraordinarily well, spawning periodically until I had 10 or 11. I didn't do anything to save the eggs, I let nature take its course, and many likely were eaten. Males have a light (creamy white) edge to the dorsal and anal fins, and females have a dark spot on the caudal fin; males may have a reddish-brown hue over the body. Unlike many of the anabantids that are bubblenest spawners, this species is a maternal mouthbrooder. The pair circle each other and the eggs are laid on the substrate in a shallow depression, then immediately picked up by the female and retained in her bucal cavity for up to 14 days before the fry are released. With a thick cover of floating plants, several fry will usually survive.

Sad to say I lost the entire group over a day or two due to toxic fungus from a piece of wood. Other fish in the tank (Trigonstigma hengeli, Brevibora dorsiocellata and Trichopsis pumila (these also spawned regularly) also died.

My 70g heavily planted tank was their home for a couple years, then I moved the Chocolates to a 29g and that was where they succumbed to the fungus. Photos below. Water quality being absolutely consistent does seem to be crucial here. Mine was zero GH/KH and a pH below 5 (5 being the lowest I could measure). Feeding was not at all problematic, and they readily ate quality flake foods, frozen bloodworms and frozen daphnia being once weekly treats.

This species is nearly identical to Sphaerichthys selatanensis [Vierke 1979] which was originally considered a sub-species; Roberts (1989) established the latter as a distinct species, confirmed by Kottelat et al. (1993). S. osphromenoides has a third vertical creamy-white band running from just before the dorsal fin at the top to just behind the ventral fins at the bottom; this is not present on S. selatanensis. There are now four recognized distinct species within the genus, the other two less commonly seen being S. acrostoma and S. vaillanti.

This fish was described in 1860 by G. Canestrini. The genus name derives from the Greek for a conglobate or spheric fish. The species epithet is also from the Greek and means "to look like osphromenus," a reference to the Giant Gourami, Osphronemus gorami.

Attachments

• 70g Jan 13-10.JPG
    70g Jan 13-10.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 33g July 2-10 (1).JPG
    33g July 2-10 (1).JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 29
You've clearly decided you are getting them no matter what anyone says! I don't know why you asked.

If they come in healthy, as @threecharacters noted, they can survive. It's a big if and it doesn't happen often. In mineral rich water they are very prone to skin parasites and disease. I would do some serious research on them before buying. They are not an easy fish.
I should have made the question clearer. I have a second 30 gallon with 2 filters that I can get just for the chocolate gouramis. But I don't really want to spend more money than I have too.

It's a fascinating fish for a single species tank. It's one I've decided never to buy, as some friends who are really good with the group and know what they're doing have not enjoyed battling to keep them alive. I'm talking experienced people who have bred a few oddball Anabantoids already.
I'd consider myself to be at that level, as I've always liked the group a lot. I've chosen to admire that fish in the tanks of friends. if I don't visit often though, I tend to only see them once, or just see one individual fish hanging after the group has died.
It isn't a cheap species around here, and it can be a challenge. I like difficult fish, especially breeding them, but that one has scared me off.
Then again, challenges are good, and you could successfully swim upstream.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back