Should i add anything to change my water parameters?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BudsZA

Reaction score
So i finally got enough cash together to buy myself an ADI freshwater master test kit and KH and GH test kit.

I immediately tested the water out my tap which is rainwater and the water in my tank.

So the fish tank pH was 6.4, KH 2-3 dH and GH 2 dH.

pH out the tap is 6.6 and KH and GH pretty much the same.

My question is, should i add anything to change these water and if so what should i use? I am currently keeping harlequin rasboras, corydoras and a German blue ram

Water parameters are ideal for the fish mentioned. Over time the pH in the tank will likely lower, that is fine too. If you have space for more fish down the road, just stay with soft water species.

So i finally got enough cash together to buy myself an ADI freshwater master test kit and KH and GH test kit.

I immediately tested the water out my tap which is rainwater and the water in my tank.

So the fish tank pH was 6.4, KH 2-3 dH and GH 2 dH.

pH out the tap is 6.6 and KH and GH pretty much the same.

My question is, should i add anything to change these water and if so what should i use? I am currently keeping harlequin rasboras, corydoras and a German blue

It is always better to get fish matching your natural parameters than chemically mess with your natural parameters. That way leads to sorrow

I would agree that using your tap water without additives is always the best, simplest, and easiest way to go.

However, there are many hobbyists that do alter their native water in order to keep the fish they want.
Cory McElroy (Aquarium Co-Op) once said in a Youtube video that his water in Washington state was so soft that if he didn't use crushed coral, he wouldn't be able to have any fish!
There are others that will 'cut' their hard (often called [tongue in cheek] 'liquid rock') water with RO or distilled water to dilute the mineral content. Some may have brackish tanks or saltwater tanks. Then there are many in the planted tank world (that I feel are more aquatic gardeners than fishkeepers) using the Estimative Index (EI) method (lots of aquatic fertilizer along with CO2) to push plants for maximum growth.

So in some cases, and I'm not sure this is one, it just might make the most sense to alter tap water to achieve a desired result. Now I don't like drugs/medicine, but if I'm sick and want to be well, it just makes sense to use some. If your water is 'sick' and you want to have fish, what should you do??? <rhetorical>

Again, altering tap water is a large commitment and not one that the average hobbyist is typically willing and able to do on an ongoing basis. It complicates fishkeeping and is just not for everyone. But advanced hobbyists often do it successfully. :)

Thank you very much for the input guys. I'm happy to keep species only happy in soft water. I love rams so that's a plus! I have read over and over again how low KH (mine is 2 dH) will make pH swing wildly and stress your fish. I've been keeping my tank for around 2 months now without issues in terms of fish health. I tested pH week on week and both times read 6.4. 6.6 from the tap should keep it staple with weekly water changes right?

I have read over and over again how low KH (mine is 2 dH) will make pH swing wildly and stress your fish.

This is false information, unfortunately still be bandied about by individuals who either have no understanding of the issue, or are misleading without really knowing it--i suppose those are the same issue. It all depends upon the fish, and the GH/KH/pH of the source water. If one has fish species requiring harder water and a basic pH to function well, then obviously one does want a higher pH and sufficient buffering to keep it steady. Increasing the GH/KH is the only safe way to do this, if the sou4rce water is too soft to begin with. But this applies to fish requiring such water.

At the other end of the issue are the soft and very soft water fish. Most of these are best in zero GH/KH, with an acidic pH. The water chemistry of any aquarium will stabilize as the biological system becomes established. Leaving it alone will allow the natural laws of chemistry, biology, etc. to work properly, and all will be well. As soon as the aquarist begins fussing with attempts to change KH or pH, the result is usually disaster with pH crashes, stressed fish, etc. Now this is very general, but it is still the basic premise.

I've been keeping my tank for around 2 months now without issues in terms of fish health. I tested pH week on week and both times read 6.4. 6.6 from the tap should keep it staple with weekly water changes right?

Yes. The pH may lower over time, just let it do what it wants.

My water is zero GH/KH, and I keep only very soft water species. I had 8 tanks in my former fish room before I had to downsize when I moved two years ago, and each tank established a biological system that was very stable for years, well over ten. The pH settled out at "x" in each tank, one tank was 6.2, another below 5, etc. I did weekly 60% water changes with tap water (zero GH/KH) and I never saw any fluctuation over more than a decade of initially weekly, then monthly, then sporadic tests of pH and nitrate. Those were stable biological systems, suited to the fish. Back in the 1980's I had a tank of mollies, and used a calcareous substrate (dolomite) to increase GH/KH/pH because that species needs it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back