Shortage of fish..?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I’m almost ready for the fish for my second tank, and I’m going to have Blue Star Endlers.

I asked the lfs if they would order them and they said yes, but it could be a while, but as I’m still not 100% ready that wasn’t an issue. I checked yesterday on how long they thought it might be and they said months! They are having issues getting them (and other species including guppies). Anyone else having issues with availability..?

I know I can get them online, but the postage is almost £40 for a smaller “batch” and I don’t think I‘d want to add 24 all in one go…

I’ve heard rumblings of a shortage, but have not witnessed it firsthand. My LFS is able to order pretty much whatever I want.

COVID has really wrecked some countries that produce a lot of fish for the aquarium trade, like India. I suspect that for some eclectic fish (as in, only profitable if there is sufficient demand) will be harder to find for the next 6-18 months.

Indonesia is one of the biggest freshwater aquarium fish suppliers and they currently have a massive outbreak of the delta strain of covid19. They have the highest number of cases every day, out of every country in the world. People are dying everywhere there due to lack of medical facilities.

They have lost 115 doctors since the beginning of July. The doctors were all vaccinated with cynovac and it doesn't appear to have helped.

Goodness, I had expected the majority of fish to be bred more locally (UK breeders for UK markets etc.)

Thats terrible news about Indonesia.

Yes, especially with coral. COVID has been really hard on local fish stores.

When COVID first hit, my LFS was almost completely sold out of all their livestock. Now they are doing better, but they are still limited on some items. (Aka, coral and saltwater fish)

It’s a great idea to support your local fish stores, as they are in hard times now. (As are we all)

If you'd live closer, I'd say: Hop by and pick some up... I'm keeping those Blue stars ever since 2012. I also have the blonde based version besides the original grey based one.

Mmm….it’s a fair way to travel for a few little fishes - especially with the added isolating to contend with after travel….

Do you think it would be possible to add 18-24 to a tank in one go…?

I’m almost ready for the fish for my second tank, and I’m going to have Blue Star Endlers.

I asked the lfs if they would order them and they said yes, but it could be a while, but as I’m still not 100% ready that wasn’t an issue. I checked yesterday on how long they thought it might be and they said months! They are having issues getting them (and other species including guppies). Anyone else having issues with availability..?

I know I can get them online, but the postage is almost £40 for a smaller “batch” and I don’t think I‘d want to add 24 all in one go…
how many blue star endlers are you looking for male, female. or both sexes. ? i can post uk only postage would be half the price

Last edited:
Mmm….it’s a fair way to travel for a few little fishes - especially with the added isolating to contend with after travel….

Do you think it would be possible to add 18-24 to a tank in one go…?
Yes, it's a distance for just a few specimens. That's why I was saying, if you were living closer, you could hop by.
how many blue star endlers are you looking for male, female. or both sexes. ? i can post uk only postage would be half the price
Well, maybe this is what Nannalou should try. You're in the same country and financial more appealing. And Nannalou could have those specimens way earlier than if she would order it at the lfs. Nannalou, fish48 can help you out...

I’m thinking 18-24 males. I have a 57ltr tank but I’m struggling to get the last little bit of Nitrites to clear at the moment. I don’t think I’m far away…but that final zero is evading me at the moment!
I‘ll message you when I’m confident the water is safe - thank you 😊

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back