Shock Horror Horror

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just looked at some of my dead fry and adult guppies that have died over the pass few days and each body is covered with tiny looking lavae worms that have a grasping hooks one end & slide back and forth. I magnfied these at 96 x 144 on the microscope.

Could anyone give me some indication of what these are (scientific name) and how to eradicate them totally?

Bigfish,

Just posted this exact response to Plecoguy in another thread but it may help you as well:

Could be nematodes or some form of planaria..... Try here for more info:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

Look in the section entiltled invertabrates all types of wiggly things are described there......

A great reference site written by one of the most experienced fishkeepers I have come across.

HTH.....

Sounds more like Hydra!!!

One end will have a sucker type appendage and the other will have tentacle like appendages for grasping on to the prey.

These are very common in fry tanks. I have had hydra wipe out tanks in the past containing 100's of fry.

CM

how could anyone get rid of these kind of parasite CM I have babie fry and something sure dropped them loke a hot potatoe

would it kill all my fry off and my adult communtity tank guppies as well? how do i treat it? i thought it was a skin parasite.

If its internal parasites, how do you tell if the fish is infected? BTW if i was something like that in my tank i'd freak out :crazy:

MAybe if first of all you move the healthy fiah into another tan so that they dont get infected.

jungle makes a good parasite medicine but im not for sure if you can use it on fry that is my hold up to CM if you are there please let us know something about these parasites

First of all, Hydra IS NOT an internal parasite!!

Let's first make sure we have the right identification here before we start treating for it.

Bigfish.....use this link and see if the beastie under your microscope looked like any of these critters.

If so let me know then and only then can we proceed with their erradication!!

Hydra

CM

hydra like to wiggle about on the side of tanks and hook there fish with those tenticles i recon they could only really do any harm to fry or small fish most others would survive i think. as to the slideing part it could be (and dont quote me on this) a leach it would have to be small tho i dont think ive seen a leach as small but i guess they have to start somewhere. notshure if i can be much help certainly not as much help as cm but here is a thing on the internal parasites of wich this is not. i found another emergency about parasites where i was not much help ive only really had three types of parasite so far thank zarg.

:alien:

sorry CM it definiately dont look like any of above pics in that link!!!! looks like some sort of leech? only found them feeding on the fishies skin when i examine them under microscope 96 x 144. not in the cleaning bucket when i change water.

i'm baffled ive had no more deaths for two days but my 1 male guppy is in qurantine is still alive and looking better apart from the edge of the tail has red blood clots? he has started to feed again not much but he's trying and has kept his colour but still early days.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back