Shoaling or Schooling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
While I was aware of the technical difference, my experience of writing for British and American magazines supports your assumption. Whenever I have used 'shoaling' in an American publication it's been changed to schooling, with 'shoals' being used by Americans to refer to piles of pebbles or sand in streams. American readers get confused when 'shoal' or 'shoaling' is used for groups of fish. British readers seem to use both without any bother.

Presumably American ichthyologists known the difference, though!

Cheers,

Neale

I had always assumed that the difference between the to had more to do with the UK preferring shoal, and the US preferring school.

The way i learned is that in basic terms a school of fish is a group of fish all traveling in one direction for a purpose, whether that be moving to feeding grounds or a mass migration. A shoal of fish is a group of fish gathered in one place but not facing in any particular direction or for any purpose other than the company of their own kind.

many fishkeepers never knew the differance between the two... very good post.... a very interesting read (pin it)

Whether schools or shoals, does it make better sense to have a relatively large number of small fish, representing only one or two species, in a new 10-gallon tank or would it be better to have fewer fish representing more species and a variety of sizes?

Hello, I am new here! I'm so sorry I didn't open a new topic, but I couldn't... :crazy: Anyway, I am going to get Glofish and I needed to confirm I'm doing this right. I am getting a two gallon tank, and I want two or three glofish for the tank. What number would be the best in my two gallon tank? :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back