Shipping/receiving "powder Blue" Rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chris2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Its a possibility i will be buying some "powder blue" rams, and i do plan on asking the shipper for advice on this subject as well...but i thought i would ask here, it cant hurt!

They are F5s, so im thinking my neutral pH should not be a problem right? I have to check with him, but i think i remember he said he raises them in 6.5-7 and Im around 7.2.

Acclimation? I was planning on floating them for 15 minutes, then drip acclimating them in bucket to the new tanks water while maintaining temp with a heater. Good idea or bad idea?

Lights off for 24 hours to let them settle in?

Any random tips? Its my first time buying fish online, and then having them shipped.

My advice would be; unpack the fish in the dark and/or keep the bags covered in a towel or something; the sudden light can shock them. I wouldn't bother floating them; put the bags straight into the bucket, cut the tops off and drip acclimatise them in the bags in the bucket.

PS; Powder blue/electric blue rams aren't hybrids, they're just a 'man -made' colour variation.

I thought hybrids included man-mades? lol, oh well :)

And thanks, ill skip the float.

Yay! Just won the auction :D

fwapisto1301712157.jpg

The shipper confirmed his water params with me (alk: 20 mg/l, pH above 7) so it looks like that wont be a problem. Now i just have to setup the tank for them. I have a 20 high (20x10x24) and a 15 (24x12x12). Im thinking the 15 will work best.

Should i go barebottom? Or sand? I have some fake plants to add, and some cave material to build with. The sponge filters im using should be well seasoned by now, and the water will be coming from my 50 gallon ro barrel with salts added back in to bring up conductivity.

I'd go for a layer of sand; rams are in the geophagine family, so do need to be able to sift through the substrate. I think your choice of tank is spot on; they don't need a lot of depth; footprint is more important for cichlids in general.

Thank you.

I set up the 15 tonight, bare bottom. However i will do a small water change, and add sand at that time....which will give me plenty of time since they will be here Friday! I bought them from a very reputable guy on aquabid, he sent me the tracking # tonight and also let me know he is sending 7 instead of the 5 listed in the auction! How awesome! If anyone in the US is looking for nice rams/discus shoot me a pm, once the fish show up i will gladly vouch for this guy.

I used aquabid, bought from Joe Gargus.

Update please. Are you happy with your powder blue rams? I was thinking about purchasing from the same seller... :0)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back