Shipping Plants and Seeds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Do you guys have any foolproof methods of shipping plants and seeds safely?
Like succulents etc.

Will a bubble envelope work for seeds?

I am trying to expand my etsy shop to not just aquatic plants

When I've had seeds delivered they've been in a small zip top plastic bag inside a plain paper envelope.

The only plants I've bought have been cacti and succulents. Those have been in a cardboard box with bubble wrap round them. Some sellers send them bare rooted with newspaper wrapped round the roots; other have sent them in pots with clingfilm round the pots and over the exposed compost. Most have had dry compost. For plants other than cacti you'd probably need to send damp compost so the root ball would need to be inside something leak proof. About 20 years ago I bought a rooted cutting of a succulent which was sent in wet compost and the box was wet. The postman made me unwrap it on the doorstep.

Do you guys have any foolproof methods of shipping plants and seeds safely?
Like succulents etc.

Will a bubble envelope work for seeds?

I am trying to expand my etsy shop to not just aquatic plants
Hello. For shipping plants, use a moist paper towel and put it along with the plant into whatever size sandwich bag you need, That goes into a bubble envelope and that into a sturdy cardboard box. Two day shipping through Fed Ex is the best. For dry seeds, just omit the most paper towel and ship standard Fed Ex.

I always provide the receiver with the tracking number too.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

When I've had seeds delivered they've been in a small zip top plastic bag inside a plain paper envelope.

The only plants I've bought have been cacti and succulents. Those have been in a cardboard box with bubble wrap round them. Some sellers send them bare rooted with newspaper wrapped round the roots; other have sent them in pots with clingfilm round the pots and over the exposed compost. Most have had dry compost. For plants other than cacti you'd probably need to send damp compost so the root ball would need to be inside something leak proof. About 20 years ago I bought a rooted cutting of a succulent which was sent in wet compost and the box was wet. The postman made me unwrap it on the doorstep.
thanks
I will make sure to cover the soil and make it not that moist
Hello. For shipping plants, use a moist paper towel and put it along with the plant into whatever size sandwich bag you need, That goes into a bubble envelope and that into a sturdy cardboard box. Two day shipping through Fed Ex is the best. For dry seeds, just omit the most paper towel and ship standard Fed Ex.

I always provide the receiver with the tracking number too.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
thank you
For the shipping, I'll use USPS or USPS priority since it's similar to what you're talking about

I ship my pitcher plants and Venus fly traps like this:
That's an Anubia but you get the point.
image.jpg

This will go in a box with plenty of paper to keep them from rolling around.

I ship my pitcher plants and Venus fly traps like this:
That's an Anubia but you get the point.
View attachment 313909
This will go in a box with plenty of paper to keep them from rolling around.
May be a bit off topics but 'Venus fly traps'? Can the things actually live in an aquarium or do you also sell land plants? I would think them a potential threat to small fish in an aquarium...

May be a bit off topics but 'Venus fly traps'? Can the things actually live in an aquarium or do you also sell land plants? I would think them a potential threat to small fish in an aquarium...
I posted this thread in the plants and gardening, so i think he just means the plant on land

I posted this thread in the plants and gardening, so i think he just means the plant on land
LOL! Oops! I have a bad habit of not paying much attention to the actual forum heading a thread is in. Here I sort of assume aquatics unless obviously different. I should probably work on that...

LOL! Oops! I have a bad habit of not paying much attention to the actual forum heading a thread is in. Here I sort of assume aquatics unless obviously different. I should probably work on that...
it appears in the same place as all the other things and 99% are about fish so its easy to mess up lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back