Shiny Thing On Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Angelika

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just looking at my other fish in the 10 gal tank and it looks like he has a little patch of shiny yellow right in front of his gill, any idea as to what this is?

I think durbkat is right shone a torch to see if it glows up the yellow patch on his gill.

Yes sorry we call them torches.

Don't ask me lol, i don't write the english landuage, shag means another thing over here, not a dance,lol.

You all do that to? Why its so stupid. :lol: :p Anyway benzonar I replied to your topic in the tropical chit chat called killifish so go check it out. ;)

Not the writer of this info

DISEASE: ICK
GENERAL INFO: Ick is a pesky little parasite. If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will never get ick. It is very contagious, but bettas will fully recover if treated promptly. Frozen live food may carry ich.

SYMPTOMS: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. He may be less active, may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped.
TREATMENT: Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F and add one drop of Aquarisol per gal every day until cured. It will only take a few days to get rid of the pesky little parasites. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then you cannot raise the temperature. Do not attempt to put a heater in a tank smaller than 5 gal. You cannot control temperature fluctuation in a small tank/bowl and will probably end up boiling your betta!!! Do a full water change and add one drop of Aquarisol and salt (per above proportions) to the water. If you have empty tank and heater, then move betta to it and raise temperature of water to 85 F as per above. The reason is that the parasites are sensitive to the heat and at 85F they become free swimming (detach themselves from betta’s skin and go for a swim in the water which contains the Aquarisol. Aquarisol then kills them). Guess their mothers never told them to never go for a swim right after dinner!! :))))

DISEASE: VELVET
GENERAL INFO: Velvet is another pesky little parasite. If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will probably never get velvet. It is very contagious, but bettas will fully recover if treated promptly. Velvet is the number one killer of small betta fries. :((

SYMPTOMS: Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...
TREATMENT: Velvet is a parasite. Because velvet is very VERY contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Follow same procedure as for “ich” (see above). Aquarisol works good. Also, Maracide has done a good job for me in the past. Isolate any individual with velvet, treat the whole tank even if other fish look OK and remember WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

thank you so much for the information!

My fish is alone in a 10 Gal tank, do you suggest i take him out of the tank to treat it, and completely remove everything from the tank and wash it all out fully? along with boiling the stuff in the tank? do the parsites stay in the tank? or if i treat him in the tank, will it kill them them too?

again, thank you so much for all your help. i am so attached to my fishy

Just keep him in the tank and treat the whole thing and slowley raise the temp to above 80 degrees.

thank you for your prompt reply. i truly appreciate all the information you have given me. Thank you. he doesn't seem sick and his fins aren't clamped, so perhaps it is in the early stages? i really hope so.

looks like today will be a birthday spend at the pet store and at my tank but :) i want to make him all better

again, thank you so very very much!

Don't ask me lol, i don't write the english landuage, shag means another thing over here, not a dance,lol.
Shag isn't a dance over here either, at least not from what I've heard :p
However, "fanny" does mean something completely different.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back