Shi24137 - "move Or Not To Move"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Knox213

"A Coup D'tat"
Reaction score
ok so i have 3 bettas, 1 ct and 2 vt's. my new vt is in a 5g and my ct is in a 10g. the vt(koi) does nothing but swim back and forth throughout the 5g tank and my ct(reign) is not so active...he swims about but not as much as koi does. i was wondering if i should switch the two bettas to give the more active one more room to swim about? any advice or opinions would be awesome. thanks in advance!

You could certainly try it. Make sure the tanks are both very well planted to make the betta feel more secure about being moved to a bigger new home and vice versa.

It's a good idea to get a couple of simple net traps of the sort you use for keeping guppy fry in when new born ( these aren't expensive ) . Adding a clump of Java moss to hide or rest in may be a good idea ( I have done this before) .

Put a trap in each tank, and when you switch the bettas and acclimate them to the temp and water of the new tank, put each fish into his trap and keep him in there for a week before relasing into the main tank. He can get used to his new home and see it without getting too stressed by having to explore it and work the whole place out at once.

I've found with sulky or nervous fish like bettas that if you do the usual - acclimate for 30 mins in the bag then release them straight into the tank- , that they have a harder time settling in .

Using the breeding trap method has worked very well for me so far and is also useful for introducing new fish to a group , like female bettas or other fish who establish pecking orders. They can see eachother and get used to eachother being around, but are unable to fight due to the trap. It seems to really calm things down and decrease fighting and picking at new arivals in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back