Shellies in a real small tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

threecharacters

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a UNS 45S for a couple years that I never got around to using/filling. The tank is small, 6 gal and 18 x 11 x 7 inches, but it's got a lot of bottom area (the "S" in "45S" stand for shallow). It's like a nano frag tank.

I don't have a cover for it, and I'd rather not get a cover. This really limits the possible stocking as most fish are liable to jump at some point, but one intriguing option would be shell-dwellers.

Shell-dwellers are nano-sized fish (especially Neolamprologus multifasciatus and similis), and, when spooked, they are more likely to dive for their shells than jump. They would also appreciate the extra bottom area in the 45S.

Do you think the tank is large enough for a small harem of shell-dwellers (likely multies or similis)?

part of the fun though of owning shell dwellers is their colony behaviors which would never occur in such a small tank
and IMO if it's not big enough to allow them to display their natural behavior, it's not enough

Fair enough. I do think the shellies would be really interesting in a shallow tank like this though. The 60S and 75S would be better suited for them.

I think Dario dario might be a better choice for the 45S.

Most reactions

Back