Shell of a Caretta Caretta loggerhead turtle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I was asked to come over at a thrift store that I know. They'd got shell of a turtle donated. When I saw it, I recognized it as being a shell of a Caretta Caretta loggerhead turtle. They are sold at souvenir stores in Greece for instance. But we still don't know where it actually came from. From what I could see from the inside of the shell, I could see that it was separated somewhat roughly. I even wonder if it was a legal kill in the country it came from. But I told them at the thrift store that it is illegal to sell this in Holland. The rules are strict overhere when it comes to parts of exotic animals as being a decorative item. So, we've discussed it and decided to contact a Museum of Nature and Science. By the museum's request, I've measured that shell. And it was donated to them.
DSCF0724.JPGDSCF0729.JPGDSCF0728.JPGDSCF0726.JPG

Is donation even possible without the right documents?. What a shame huh such awesome animals. Thinksl Greece and other countries make more efforts. protecting them than in the past.

Is donation even possible without the right documents?. What a shame huh such awesome animals. Thinksl Greece and other countries make more efforts. protecting them than in the past.
They've been asking about documents but they had the same thought as me that it was once sold at a souvenir shop. The shell wasn't varnished either. If they sell it at a souvenir shop in such countries, it's usually varnished. That's why I and even the museum thought it was illegal taken from the turtle.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back