shell dwellers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NickT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
im looking to set up a 29g shell dweller comunity and i need to know if 8-10 is too many?

i know they setup familys but i dont know how may to expect from a groupe or how big of an aquaium i shold have...... i want to do a tank with 2-3 differnt types of sheldwellers but i also dont know a whole lot about teh differnt types....

so how may and what types can be kept in a 29?

I keep about 10 Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 20L and they have a ton of room which is good because they just spawned about 8 more babies. The key is making sure you have 2-3 shells per fish. They only claim about 3-4 inches of area around the shell. Also they never go into the top half of the tank so a 29 really won't gain you much since they are fairly tall. Now of course this is my knowledge of this species of shell dwellers. If you haven't read this before it's a good resource. They are awesome fish and will redecorate your tank quite a bit. My fish moved the sand out from under 1-2 pound rocks until the rocks are now resting on the floor of the aquarium and built sand mounds almost to the top of the aquariums in the corner. Hope this helps. Let me know if you are looking for a breeder I really liked the person I got mine from. He was extremely helpful, I have not lost a single fish ever and they are very healthy.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/shellweb/shell_species.htm

thanks alot. the link helps show withc are shell dwellers so now i just haveto print out the list and go look and see what my LFS has..... if im not happy with there stock ill let you know and get in touch with the breeder you know......

I'm not sure its a good idea to keep several spieces. Some are more agressive than others and i fear that if you keep them together the weak may perish.

Other than that i think most types can be kept in your tank (except one species where the males get HUGE). Neolamprologus multifasciatus are good for beginners, they live in colonies so they prefer not being alone. I've never kept ocellatus but I've heard they can be VERY agressive.

I own several occies (and me and Kel keep a couple of other shell and cave dwelling species) and they defenantly need more room than most shell dwellers. They take up quite a bit of territory for such a small fish and will defend it from anything which wanders too close (including snails, shrimp, etc). This can be helped a little by blocking their view of other fish with rocks, etc. They will bite, flare up, nudge and even headbutt each other to try and push another out and take over what they see as "prime shell real estate". Rule of thumb, if they can see the fish, they are going to attack it. Dither fish can also help to spread out agression, some use guppies, others use danios, etc. All in all though, if you keep a minimum amount with some rocks and a few real/fake plants (don't expect them to stay where you put them though) with plenty of shells then they shouldn't have too many problems. Don't be too suprised if the little buggers take on your hand while you do maintenance as well, many a time I have had my occies firmly attached to my skin, almost to the point of me lifting them out of the water before they'll let go.

I found an article that I'm having trouble finding agan.... it was about a lady who has a 125G with several species living together... i think she said 4?..... i think I'm going to try this on a smaller scale... a 55G instead of the 29 i was thinking of using erlyer...... also with just 2 species (undecided) one on either side with a stack of rocks in the middle that I'm thinking of gluing in place... then there will be a bit of aggression but both species will have there own territory they can defend and they will both have places that are peacful.....

Do you mean 2 species of shellies or one shell dweller and some other type of cichlid?

Do you mean 2 species of shellies or one shell dweller and some other type of cichlid?

2 species of shell dwellers....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ulti...hellie_tank.php

Well the tank was now ready for the main occupants of the tank - the shell dwellers. These were all purchased at our club’s swap meet the next week. Here’s what we selected:

6 Altolamprologus compressiceps “Orange”

8 Neolamprologus mealegrise

8 Neolamprologus occellatus “Gold”

10 Neolamprologus caudopunctatus “Red Fin”

8 Neolamprologus signatus

4 Altoamprologus calvus “Black”

thats the list of fish in a 125.. the one in the link....... i figured i can get away with haveing 2 differnt spicies in a 55...... as long as i get the smallest spicies avalable they shold have plenty of room...

http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/l.signatus.htm

i think i may try to find ^these guys^ and some Neolamprologus multifasciatus..... if theres too much aggression i can always move them around .... i got plenty of tanks ATM so it wont be a problem at all to move them around or take the ones getting picked on back..... i also think that i can trick them with a pile of rocks between there teritorys...... but anyway I'm willing to try it.....

it shold be a week or 2.. ill let you know how it works out.
i got 14 shells at the moment ... i think im gonna get 14 more and then get 8 fish..... if it works out i may try adding a mid/top water fish..... i may even go larger on the tank like a 75G corner or something....

Most reactions

trending

Back