Shark In A 26 Gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jessman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have a 26 gallon with guppies and platys, is it possible i could get a shark? Something like a ruby or red tail?
Will there be enough room for a shark? There is plenty of hiding spaces
And also can they live with guppies and platys??
Thanks

I think it's a bit small. When RTBSs get older they can get rather territorial, anything that strays into what it considers its domain regrets it.

Ruby sharks are more peaceful but you are looking at a potential foot long shark (though more commonly 6-9 inch) and i do think that would give rise to some issues later on. They tend to thrive in 55G+ though could be kept very carefully in a 30G.
As for the red tail black shark roughly a similar size reached although they are more aggressive they dont typically bite fish but more chase them and try to corner them which will stress the target fish. I am also lead to believe these guys need 45G+ to live comfortably in a community. 
And as always it depends on the personality of the fish, some are rather docile others will attack any moving object.

You may not have any issues now, but once you have a big ol' shark...

Ahh ok, im getting a 50g tank in a few months so i might wait until i get that, just to be on the safe side :)!!

I had a fully grown Ruby Shark in with my Angels (rest of stocking in my signature).
She was the most docile, placid shark I have ever seen. They say the Ruby Shark has a more considerate nature towards other fish, as long as there's only one of them.
She had her own cave and route she would patrol around the tank.

The Red Tail can be much more territorial/aggressive in fish chasing. Especially in with Guppies and Platys who are very peaceful fish! I remember the Red Tail my mother owned when I was a child, terrorizing the tank and used to chase everything that came near it :|

Some people also advise that as long as said shark is added last, it will not try to over throw territories of existing members but I wouldn't put it past a few Red Tails I've seen at work.

The only fish we have in with our Red Tails are Tiger/Albino/Green Barbs who well, obviously hold their own ;) 

Well that sounds promising, i prefer the ruby sharks anyway!
If i see one i like i might talk it over with the person at the lfs to see what they think, and ask what kind of temperment the shark has :)

Yeah - even a few minutes watching it with tank mates might help.

Yeah i might just do that, thanks Sophie! :)

I also have a ruby shark who is lovely, doesn't bother with the tetra nor any other fish in the tank. I would just watch them in the lfs and specifically choose the shark you want! You may get a few grumbles about them all looking the same but if one shark is bullying the other fish you wouldn't want to buy it! With regards the new tank being bought soon you may well be fine buying a very small shark now and transferring it when the 50G arrives, you just don't want to be stunting growth or confining it too much so it gets nasty with the other fish. Good luck and let us know how you get on!!!

Thanks leah :) would be fine in a 26 g for a few months wouldnt it?

Or be patient :p always worth being patient in the fish keeping world!

Gonna repeat what's been said above, patience is key! But a juvenile ruby shark could work short term in a 26G if placid and hiding places are available. I would personally wait for the bigger tank but if for reasons its better for you to get the shark now and the tank in august they're wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I dont know exactly when i'll be getting the new tank so yeah i think its best if i wait :) haha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back