CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
:shifty:
20201119_184711.jpg

Wish these weren't illegal in the uk.

That's why you buy vampire shrimp. They're sort of like crayfish (ish), but not only are they legal in the UK, you can keep them in a community tank so long as they're not with anything that will see them as the mother of all shrimp cocktails. They mostly sit in the current doing "jazz hands," but they're cute.

I found ALL of,Crawdads to blue "lobsters" to be terrible aquarium pets. They kill and eat everything,then dig up any design you use..and they also pretty much do nothing all day long. ..the mayhem happens at night.
Some people say the dwarf Mexican crayfish are different...others who keep them say,nope,they ate the other fish and plants like the big crayfish do.
Like anything that hides all day..when you think of it..Why buy that? Cleaner fish are the exception..Ancistrus. But I wouldn't pay $90 for a leopard catfish if it's going to sleep in a ceramic burrito all day.

btw,That's a fine looking crawdad. If its requirements are fine with you,its fine with me..to look at yours!

My Ancistrus is out all the time. I'm looking at her as I type. If you patiently hold a courgette in the water, she'll attach herself to your hand.

Last edited:
I dunno my cray is so full of personality, never is hiding at all. I adore her lol shes a Mexican dwarf crayfish.
If she sees you near, she runs out at you with her claws open like she wants to nab you lol

Shes got a little 18"x7"x7" tank all to herself and 3 faucet snails (they have a door to their shells too so she can't grab them easily), some plants, and lots of rocks to explore. Shes very adventurous and friendly, we feed her off the end of a chopstick which she grabs the food with a lot of enthusiasm. We feed her raw shrimp, mealworms, bloodworms, flakes, pellets, etc.
20200929_125142.jpg

20201115_194937.jpg
20201026_124950.jpg
20201025_204444.jpg
20201021_001619.jpg
20201019_184417.jpg
20201012_220358.jpg
20201012_125137.jpg
20201006_200637.jpg
20201004_163015.jpg
20201002_000515.jpg
20200930_213902.jpg
20200929_202741.jpg
20200929_134550.jpg

Shes just got so much spunk and she doesn't bother with her plants at all. Theyre one of the very few crays that can be kept with upper level fish and plants. Baby fish or shrimp, or bottom level is risky.

See? I have had people say the dwarf Mexican is a great little invertebrate for the community tank..and others who even specialize in them say,they had to move theirs as it ate the tetras and plants. They also can be very touchy young and they are not something you want to order..much better to left LFS acclimate them,then you buy them.
Since they are rare to find..a tank for just them sounds perfect.

My Ancistrus is out all the time. I'm looking at her as I type. If you patiently hold a courgette in the water, she'll attach herself to your hand.
When I bought mine almost 3 years ago..she would be active. I also had baby Pleco..and "baby" grew in over a year to 8" and I think would go after the yellow colored Ancistrus with some real aggression. She became very shy ever since. I had to sell the big Pleco as it also wanted to dig tunnels in my potted big aquarium plants,ripping them up while doing it.
I still hated to re home it. Felt bad,but had to do it.
That was last year and only lately have I spotted the yellow out again..looking beautiful with her '67 Summer of Love Paisley yellow color.

Mine definitely prefers being the only pleco in the tank. Had a rubberlip pleco for about five months, and once it settled and got a bit full of itself, they would chase one another, and the bristlenose would spend more time hiding. The rubberlip died in early October, and the Ancistrus has gone back to her perky self. She couldn't care less about corys or raphaels, but doesn't seem to like conspecifics. On the pleco Facebook group, I'm baffled by people's photos of multiple pleco species sharing courgettes like a loricariid commune. How do you get them to do that and not try to kill each other?

Ancistrus has gone back to her perky self. She couldn't care less about corys or raphaels, but doesn't seem to like conspecifics. On the pleco Facebook group, I'm baffled by people's photos of multiple pleco species sharing courgettes like a loricariid commune. How do you get them to do that and not try to kill each other?
Its only if the aquarium is large enough or crowded. Its like 2? No way. 20? ok...get a loan for 20 long finned red Ancistrus from the bank.
Although I am kind of kidding..Ancistrus in large tanks seem like they would be fine in pairs. I have just two Panda Garra and they fought like heck for a while but no damage in the 240..but now? They've grown into fine looking fish,nice banding and ..they get along. I've watched the two be side by side and follow one another around the tank and now its very coy relations among the two as they spend time on driftwood the pumps make a strong flow over.
I'm going to guess,larger is male and the slightly smaller is female? or vice versa.

Most reactions

trending

Back