Shall I Skim

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kennygater

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi I have a juwel lido 120 litre, I have a few corals and led lighting I have just been reading a few posts and most people swear by having a skimmer I have got a red sea one but it didn't seem to do anything plus a few people said they ain't no good. If so what should I go for there is a small tmc one for £35?

Hi Ken

what are your stats - if they are stable and all is well with the tank, why skim?

SEffie x

I'm running an MT50 - 80 litres, have 2 clowns and tiny CUC, few polyps, tiny mushroom (hitchiker on rock) and a tiny piece of daisy polyp. Nitrates stay below 5ppm and no issues that I can find, and I keep looking just to make sure. Guy in my LFS convinced me to run it with no skimmer and just some filter floss over the intake, catches loads of gunk looks the same as the stuff I see in peoples skimmer cups. I just rinse out the floss and replace when it gets too ropey.

Seems to work for me.

Hi Ken

what are your stats - if they are stable and all is well with the tank, why skim?

SEffie x
Good point, nitrates go up now and again bg everything else is ok apart from an algae bloom at the moment!

I'm running an MT50 - 80 litres, have 2 clowns and tiny CUC, few polyps, tiny mushroom (hitchiker on rock) and a tiny piece of daisy polyp. Nitrates stay below 5ppm and no issues that I can find, and I keep looking just to make sure. Guy in my LFS convinced me to run it with no skimmer and just some filter floss over the intake, catches loads of gunk looks the same as the stuff I see in peoples skimmer cups. I just rinse out the floss and replace when it gets too ropey.

Seems to work for me.
I might try putting some filtdr floss in mine. Thanks

While we are all striving to replica nature and work towards more natural settings for our watery pets, I still strongly advocate the use of protein skimming to help maintain proper water quality for our aquariums. Some may find this statement at odds (the word "natural", with a man-made device such as the protein skimmer), but protein skimming is a perfectly complimentary strategy for replicating a process of the natural world in the entirely unnatural confines of an aquarium. Specifically, the dynamic process in either environment exports significant amounts of organic waste (proteinaceous matter attracted to the bubbles in a skimmer or carried to shore from a reef as sea foam) before it can degrade in the aquatic environment. This is not to say that you cannot succeed without a protein skimmer, but it is my belief (and experience has demonstrated time and time again) that more people can and will benefit enormously from employing this technology than those who choose not to employ one. For newer aquarists and systems with heavy bio-loads, a protein skimmer should be considered an indispensable piece of hardware as well as a fundamental investment in a successful aquarium. In a nutshell, if you cannot explain why it is that you don't need a skimmer, then you do need a skimmer! Finding a good and affordable unit is the real challenge.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm

While we are all striving to replica nature and work towards more natural settings for our watery pets, I still strongly advocate the use of protein skimming to help maintain proper water quality for our aquariums. Some may find this statement at odds (the word "natural", with a man-made device such as the protein skimmer), but protein skimming is a perfectly complimentary strategy for replicating a process of the natural world in the entirely unnatural confines of an aquarium. Specifically, the dynamic process in either environment exports significant amounts of organic waste (proteinaceous matter attracted to the bubbles in a skimmer or carried to shore from a reef as sea foam) before it can degrade in the aquatic environment. This is not to say that you cannot succeed without a protein skimmer, but it is my belief (and experience has demonstrated time and time again) that more people can and will benefit enormously from employing this technology than those who choose not to employ one. For newer aquarists and systems with heavy bio-loads, a protein skimmer should be considered an indispensable piece of hardware as well as a fundamental investment in a successful aquarium. In a nutshell, if you cannot explain why it is that you don't need a skimmer, then you do need a skimmer! Finding a good and affordable unit is the real challenge.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm
Thanks for the advice, I have a red sea skimmer, I might give that another try and see if it does anything

Tried the skimmer today, far to noisy but did pull a lot of crap out though, might try and get a less noisy skimmer so I can hear the tv lol

I've been reading a lot about skimmers lately as I might have to get a different one due to space issues. Do you know what you're getting?

I've been reading a lot about skimmers lately as I might have to get a different one due to space issues. Do you know what you're getting?
There was a hang on nano skimmer from aquadabera but I think I am going to try and add a sump now instead of a filter so im going to do that first just need to find a small tank that will fit in the cabinet

That's my issue. I think I'm just gonna use a 29g as a sump instead of building a larger stand to have a 75g sump. Have to find a skimmer to fit in that small space.

looking at these for my sump:
Bubble Magus NAC-7 Cone Protein Skimmer
Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS
Reef Octopus Extreme XS160

That's my issue. I think I'm just gonna use a 29g as a sump instead of building a larger stand to have a 75g sump. Have to find a skimmer to fit in that small space.

looking at these for my sump:
Bubble Magus NAC-7 Cone Protein Skimmer
Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS
Reef Octopus Extreme XS160
What tank do you have? Sumps are a lot better and make things a lot easier. Don't know where I'm going to get a tank to fit in a lido cabinet

It'll be a standard 75g drilled dt tank with a 29g homemade sump.

I don't know what a lido cabinet is :huh:
Its a juwel, can't add pics at the moment as the laptop is broke and I'm only using an epad. The cabinet is very narrow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back