Shaky shaky

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've successfully trained my fish. Most dogs come when their name is said. Hank comes when I shake the pellet container:rofl:

I've been giving the container a little shake every time I feed him because sometimes he gets a little confused about what he should be doing. I always spot feed to reduce waste, but before he would sometimes miss food while figuring out what was going on around him (he's a little special ;))

I decided to test out a theory that fish could be Pavloved and began to shake the container a little bit at each meal time. At first he behaved as he did regularly, but soon he began to swim to the bottom and watch me chop his food then swim up to the surface as I brought my tweezers up. Very adorable.

Today was the day I got to really test it out though. He was sleeping behind his wood piece (his new favorite spot) so I shook the can to tell him it was food time. No exaggeration when I tell you he shot out like a rocket. Little buddy was in the front of the tank in no time flat, and it made me laugh.

Anyways, tell me your stories! Have any of you purposefully (or accidentally) conditioned your fish? Was there an attempt made? Perhaps you've trained them to hide when you take out the gravel vac :p

I had several tanks of rainbowfish in the loungeroom. When I came out of my bedroom, all the fish in those tanks would race up to the end closest to my room and beg for food. If anyone else came out of my room the fish would look and either race up to the corner and then turn around and swim away, or not bother going to the corner to begin with.

They swam to the opposite corner when I came home too.

When visitors came around and stood in front of the tank the fish just swam around casually ignoring the people. But as soon as I went near the tank they all came over to beg for food.

My old betta used to respond when I tapped on the lid of his tank.

That’s really cool @Quin! :wub:

My goldfish and koi recognise my footsteps. As soon as I get onto the decking they all race to the surface and start begging. Anyone else and they just ignore them.

All of my fish (even my very shy Albino BNP) will come close to the glass, or start to swim around franticly when I enter the room. (Because they want food)

But its cute that they don't do it for anyone else... :wub:

Both my guppies and my tetras will race to the side of their tanks when I get near and then follow as I move to the other end of the tank. My granddauther who just turned 1 gets so excited when they swim by her that she wiggles and makes loud noises which scares the fish for a moment but they come right back again.

Most reactions

Back