Sexing my new betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my LFS, looking to buy some supplies, and as one does, spotted a betta which I just had to have. It was a short finned galaxy koi betta, living in a community tank. I asked about it and was told that it was a male. I bought it and introduced it to my community tank and he seemed to love it. The next day, he showed no aggression to any of the fish, all of them small community schooling fish, and seemed to be adjusting well.

I still am not convinced about the gender. The girl working there seemed inexperienced (she even put the plants in a plastic bag instead of a fish bag and handed it to me) so I'm not entirely convinced. I don't know how to sex short finned bettas and hoping that someone here does.
Anyway here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_213646.jpg
    IMG_20221117_213646.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20221117_213702.jpg
    IMG_20221117_213702.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 77
looking atthe fins I first thought male but in the second photo the body shape looks more female
Οh you're right...! Does indeed look like a female in the second pic...

But still.... the ventrals are really long for a female... Now that's confusing.
it is confusing. the fins did initially make me think male but im leaning towards female. if you zoom in on the first photo theres also a possible egg spot. we'd need more photos to be able to tell for sure

If you can get the fish to flare, look at the gills. A female usually has gills puffed out only at the sides while a male will usually have puffed out gills under his chin as well making it look as though he has a beard.

it is confusing. the fins did initially make me think male but im leaning towards female. if you zoom in on the first photo theres also a possible egg spot. we'd need more photos to be able to tell for sure
I will be sure to upload more photos soon.
If you can get the fish to flare, look at the gills. A female usually has gills puffed out only at the sides while a male will usually have puffed out gills under his chin as well making it look as though he has a beard.
I haven't seen the fish flare often, making me suspect it might be a female, as my other male bettas seem to flare quit frequently. On top of that, I haven't seen any form of bubble nest being built. I suspect it's a female

Could be a young male... The tips of the anal and dorsal fin haven't grown pointy enough yet which is also normal for a young male.
Don't look at the colors to determine the sex. For a female can show them as well.

Did you ever work out what it was? By now it should be really obvious what the gender is

Most reactions

trending

Back