Sexing my gourami/ will a gourami and betta be okay together?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ianvaldius

Reaction score
CB74FEE0-8DAE-4A1C-883B-B24B76013996.jpeg
F01EE5B1-AE32-4887-9AB3-86592AF80C6B.jpeg

Firstly, Iā€™m not quite sure what to look for when sexing my paradise fish. Secondly, I know bettas are technically gouramis and you usually donā€™t want two gouramis in the same tank, but I was wondering if this case was any different because bettas look strikingly different than other gouramis. I donā€™t actually have any plans to house a gourami and betta in the same tank in the near future, I was just kind of wondering what my options were. So I assume a male and female gourami will get along fine in the same tank and two female gouramis, correct (and the same regarding bettas)? Will, say, a female gourami and male betta or vice versa get along? Or a male betta/male gourami? Does anybody have any experience doing any of these and, if so, what was the outcome? The two tanks in which I would hypothetically be doing this are 55 gallon and 75 gallon tanks.

It looks like a male paradise gourami. Also, it's not advisable to house gourami and Bettas in the same aquarium. This will lead to constant aggression within species.

Betta cannot live with others, they do better alone, they even aggressive to female after breeding. If you want betta I recommended at least 4 Gal tank for them.

Betta cannot live with others, they do better alone, they even aggressive to female after breeding. If you want betta I recommended at least 4 Gal tank for them.
Technically, Bettas can live together.

Yea, of cause but you will need a bigger tank than 5 Gal tank.
I have a 55 and a 75 gallon. Iā€™m not actively planning to get a betta, I was just curious. So male and female gouramis also canā€™t live together? I guess really Iā€™m just looking for another fish I can put in the tank that has as much personality as my rainbow fish. He and the bettas Iā€™ve had in the past are the only fish Iā€™ve had that A) actively notice me and B) get excited or hang out right in front of my face when they do. Heā€™s a lot of fun.

I'm puzzled, never heared that you can only keep 1 gourami in a tank. Maybe a typing error there ?

I'm puzzled, never heared that you can only keep 1 gourami in a tank. Maybe a typing error there ?
It depends on the species and aquarium size. For instance, many people advise not to house two male dwarf gouramis in the same aquarium.

Male gouramis usually fight over territory unless the tank is very large. Some species are more aggressive than others and if females are kept as well there should be more than one so the male spreads his attention between several of them. The commonly kept aggressive gouramis are dwarfs and all the colours of 2 spot (gold, blue, opaline etc), while pearls and honeys are less aggressive but should still be kept as 1 male per tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back