Sexing Juvenile German Blue Rams?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

coolfishguy12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm able to tell the difference between full grown male and female GBRs but how does one tell the difference between juvenile GBRs?

Many haven't developed the features that full grown specimens exhibit.

This is not easy.  Observing the behaviours of the fish as they interact can give you a clue, usually.  If the question was asked in the context of acquiring this fish from a store, stand quietly in front of the tank for several minutes and carefully observe the interaction.  Males will be continually challenging one another [I expect you know the signs so I needn't go into detail] and the females will be basically ignored by the males.  Select a male and nearby female that he tolerates.

Byron.

Byron said:
This is not easy.  Observing the behaviours of the fish as they interact can give you a clue, usually.  If the question was asked in the context of acquiring this fish from a store, stand quietly in front of the tank for several minutes and carefully observe the interaction.  Males will be continually challenging one another [I expect you know the signs so I needn't go into detail] and the females will be basically ignored by the males.  Select a male and nearby female that he tolerates.

Byron.
Thanks Byron this is an interesting suggestion, never thought to try. Excuse me for omitting this from the original question but you are correct, it is in the context of buying them from my LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Back