Sexing Gold Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Gourami males have a pointed arrow-like dorsal fin while females have rounded dorsal fins. I hope this answers your question.

You'll also find that all unpaired fins are longer in males and the females are deeper-bodied.

It makes sense, but I guess it is hard without things to compare against. Maybe I will go the the LFS and take a look at them. Are the gold gouramis that are pictured in the pinned gouarmi link male or female? And what do you mean by deep bodied? Thanks for your help! I guess I am kind of new to this and don't have all the terminology down :)

By deeper-bodied I mean she is much fuller and wider - I mean like more circular than oval (exaggeration) :p

I unfortunately can't tell from the gold gourami pictures if they are male or female (i think females though) but I can tell you that the blue gourami pictured is a female and the opaline is a male (opalines, golds and blues are all the same species - trichogaster trichopterus - or 'three-spot gourami'). As color doesn't distinguish between the sexes in these fish, you can use those to compare body/fin shapes.

Notice that the female blue has a very full under-body or chest area and has a very rounded dorsal and short unpaired fins (dorsal, anal etc) while the opaline male has a very pointed dorsal, longer finnage and an elongated body. The same would apply to golds.

Good luck :)

BTW, if you have pictures I could help you out a little better... plus I'd love to see your fish :D

Thanks! After looking at the pics, I am pretty sure I have a male. I have a camera at work, if I can remember to bring it home Monday, I'll post a pic... I was just going to get him/her some company :)

Hi teacherspet :)

I've always found that it's easiest to tell male and female gouramis apart if I look at them from the top.

From this view, it's easy to see that the female is rounded at the front, in the belly area, and then she tapers toward the tail, while the male is more smooth in shape, with a more gradual taper from the front to the back. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back