Sexing German Rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a gold and a blue variant. Here are the pictures. I apologize for not getting a picture of the full dorsal fin, but he only let loose when facing me. The blue ram is new and getting bullied so I can't get better pictures. Thanks for the help!

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0754 2.jpg

I suggest the gold is a male, but I wouldn't dispute this. What is definitely a problem though is the addition of the blue ram. If the gold is a male, then you can take it that he considers the tank "his" space. Any intruder is nulikely to be welcome...another male will probably be hounded to death, a female, hard to say. Male/female rams must select their partners from the group and bond. Sometimes a male/female may seem to get along, then it is all over. If the blue is already being harassed it is being seriously stressed, and that can be fatal.

I suggest the gold is a male, but I wouldn't dispute this. What is definitely a problem though is the addition of the blue ram. If the gold is a male, then you can take it that he considers the tank "his" space. Any intruder is nulikely to be welcome...another male will probably be hounded to death, a female, hard to say. Male/female rams must select their partners from the group and bond. Sometimes a male/female may seem to get along, then it is all over. If the blue is already being harassed it is being seriously stressed, and that can be fatal.
That makes sense. Unfortunately, I could not accommodate a selection process; choosing the gender seemed to be the best bet. I initially had a female gold with him, but she passed away within days of getting her. I'll keep monitoring the situation as things have quieted down a bit. I'm loathe to move either into my 10 gallon as the male betta in there will not be a happy tankmate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back