Sexing German Blue Ram Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
can someone point me to a previous post, or tell me how to determine what sex my two german blue rams are? I don't want to breed them, I'm just curious.

Heres some piccies.

Male.
RamBlue1.jpg

Female.
sexingRamsfemale_thumb9.jpg

Hope i got this right.

Xxx~misscosmo~xxX

misscosmo you are correct :)

now i dont know where you guys live but i am from the middle of the USA, and a while ago we had quite a few GBR's come through our area that were VERY hard to sex. the males had pink bellys LOL which is supposed to be a female trait. so just be carefull about color alone. look and the dorsal fin (if it extends past the junction of the tail and tailfin its most likely male) and the blue spots on the black spot (if it has blue speckles over the large black spot its most likely female). if you can see a combination of these traits you can be fairly certain of their sex.

hope this helps :D

edited: trying to get a better piccie.

misscosmo you are correct :)

now i dont know where you guys live but i am from the middle of the USA, and a while ago we had quite a few GBR's come through our area that were VERY hard to sex. the males had pink bellys LOL which is supposed to be a female trait. so just be carefull about color alone. look and the dorsal fin (if it extends past the junction of the tail and tailfin its most likely male) and the blue spots on the black spot (if it has blue speckles over the large black spot its most likely female). if you can see a combination of these traits you can be fairly certain of their sex.

hope this helps :D

Well i got something right for once then.

Xxx~misscosmo~xxX

Ok, I think one is male and one is female.

I can't get a good pic right now because one is a little stressed out so the colors are faded... (they are both being treated for a bacterial infection, and whenever I add meds to the the tanks, he loses his colors for a short time...)

But one I think is male because he doesn't have any black on his pelvic fins which they say is a common female trait, and he's slightly larger than the one that I think is a girl (because she does have black on her pelvic fins.)

as for one having a pink belly... I don't see it on either, but if it's faint, I probably won't see it. I'm blind in one eye and sometimes red can look orange, or a very faint pink will look white to me.

but I think one is male and the other is female.

Ok, I think one is male and one is female.

I can't get a good pic right now because one is a little stressed out so the colors are faded... (they are both being treated for a bacterial infection, and whenever I add meds to the the tanks, he loses his colors for a short time...)

But one I think is male because he doesn't have any black on his pelvic fins which they say is a common female trait, and he's slightly larger than the one that I think is a girl (because she does have black on her pelvic fins.)

as for one having a pink belly... I don't see it on either, but if it's faint, I probably won't see it. I'm blind in one eye and sometimes red can look orange, or a very faint pink will look white to me.

but I think one is male and the other is female.

These traits also depend on the age of your fish as juvinile rams are MUCH MUCH harder to sex. the pink belly really shows up when the female is of/or close to breeding age and the pink will really intensify if she is ready to lay eggs.

also i'm fairly certain the ram you have looses its color when you add medicine to the tank because they are soooo sensitive to water quality. i used to try everything but putting medicine in the tanks but if i had to dose i would start with like a half dose to see if that would work.

Good Luck :D

i have to long fined type i have had them for a couple of month now and i dont have a clue which is male and female but they dont ever fight so a think they might be male female goin to have a good look at them now

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back