Sexing fire mouths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tahnzian

Reaction score
Hi guys was just wondering if anyone could help me sex my firemouths.
fairly new to keeping cichlids any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
34B8BC5D-BF2D-49CC-8979-354549D2CFA8.jpeg
82482AC3-B637-4DBE-B016-7DF0599886D9.jpeg6B80D96A-36DB-4BCA-B7CC-C4684A6ECC7E.jpeg

Honestly cant tell...

I did find this though: "Luckily, a few subtle differences exist between male and female firemouth cichlids. The females of the species tend to have slightly duller coloration than the males and have blunt-looking genital papilla. Male firemouth cichlids have more sharply pointed dorsal fins and anal fins."

Which one has brighter colors, and a more sharply pointed dorsal fin?

(How to Tell Male & Female Firemouth Cichlids Apart | Animals ...)

On the picuture of the two side by side the back one I think is female - I cant tell on the other one, could you take side on photos of each fish when they are out in the open? I think you might have 2 females though.

Males will have pointed top and bottom fins and will develop slight streamers at the end. Their throat will be much more red and they will be bigger than the females too.

Wills

On the picuture of the two side by side the back one I think is female - I cant tell on the other one, could you take side on photos of each fish when they are out in the open? I think you might have 2 females though.

Males will have pointed top and bottom fins and will develop slight streamers at the end. Their throat will be much more red and they will be bigger than the females too.

Wills

Attachments

• 3F97186B-1F52-4002-B61C-7393BEDCBBAC.jpeg
    3F97186B-1F52-4002-B61C-7393BEDCBBAC.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 57
This is what I think is my male going on what you have both said.. more colour on his throat slightly sharper dorsal fins and slightly bigger
My other one is hiding from camera but is more duller in colour and quite smaller

This is what I think is my female

Attachments

• 74EB04DE-A5C2-45BA-8C3D-B1D58B57A609.jpeg
    74EB04DE-A5C2-45BA-8C3D-B1D58B57A609.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 64
I would agree too :) looks like you might get a pair.

Quite intrigued about your tank spotted a few other cichlids in there :) What have you got?

Wills

It’s a bit of a list
2x neon blue acaras (male & female)
2x red humps (Male & female)
1x rainbow shark
2x bristle nose
2x red horse face (Male &female)
4x pepper corys
1x red shoulder sevrum
4x convict
1x marble spotted sail fin pleco

mainly American cichlids stock

Nice :) is it a big tank? I'd keep an eye on the convicts as they could cause trouble in there, your Geophagus would benefit from being in larger groups of each species too as they are quite a gregarious species.

Wills

6ftx2x2
Convicts are pretty tame at the moment got some paired off and getting ready to breed but won’t be their forever home as I have another 3 tanks set up just not sure what To put together at this stage so still deciding.
Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back