Sexing angelfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kloomis

Reaction score
Ca anyone tell me the sex of these angelfish???

Attachments

• 20230602_121302.jpg
    20230602_121302.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 4,517
  • 20230602_121103.jpg
    20230602_121103.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 27
No. If one is significantly fatter than the other they may be a male and a female. That’s about all you can say unless they spawn. Then you’ll see the broad blunt ovipositor of a female and the thin pointed one of a male. But even then you can only be sure it’s male if eggs get fertilised.

This is really a guess but, I would say they are both males. But as @Ichthys stated there is not a lot of sexual dimorphism in Angelfish so it really is a guess. You will know it if any of them pair off.

Well fed males that are in good condition get a lump on their head. It's a fatty deposit that tells nearby females he is getting lots to eat. Both fish in the pictures have the lump on the head, so theoretically they are both males.

If they start breeding, the females have a short wide ovipositor (egg laying tube), whereas the male's ovipositor is longer and thin.

Well fed males that are in good condition get a lump on their head. It's a fatty deposit that tells nearby females he is getting lots to eat. Both fish in the pictures have the lump on the head, so theoretically they are both males.

This doesn’t apply to the old domestic varieties, which are hybrids between P. scalare and P. leopoldi. In scalare neither sex gets much of a hump, but in leopoldi both sexes do (or rather the species has a convex head profile), so in the domestic varieties both sexes can have a hump, or not. It’s very random.

If I was forced to guess I’d say the first pic is possibly male and the second possibly female, going by the ventral profiles. But it’s just a wild guess.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back