Well here's my tank set up

• Does it look good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • And a blue Rams and my bolivians

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dwarf cichlids rule

Reaction score
Okay here's my problem I have looked and looked at looked and Main pictures of Bolivian ram cichlids and none of them have a male and a female next to each other so I can identify mine I think I have two males they are in a tank with a pair of German blue Rams and they get along just fine there in a 75 gallon tank and I have couple red neon tetras black neon tetras a couple of Danos and they all seem to get along pretty good so if I can just get a good picture of a male and female Bolivian blue Ram next to each other I can identify mine and if I have two males well when I was going to have to go so I can get a female in there my German blue Rams they're already starting to breed I've only had him for for 5 months they guard their nest well let me tell you my tank is a live plant tank I have real substrate Dragonstone and I'm using CO2 generator for the plants and I'm running a four-stage external water filter system it runs about 350 gallons an hour water crystal clear that good light nice case good rocks I'll send a picture you see what I'm dealing with there's my tank my blue Rams and I hope I got both my Bolivian

Attachments

• 20171111_171643.jpg
    20171111_171643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
That is a Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeohagus altispinosus) in the photo, but I can't tell if it is male or female. Discerning the gender of Bolivians is not easy; their behaviour is a better clue. I'll attach of photo of a pair (top fish is male, lower female) guarding their clutch of eggs, but you may not see such colouration except when they spawn. Now to the behaviour item which also applies to the blue or common ram species, M. ramirezi.

Rams must select their own mate; they bond, but a lasting bond may not always occur with just any male/female. I had a "pair" of Bolivians that spawned four times before the male had had enough and killed the female that I had given him (years ago, before I understood the bonding issue).

Your two Bolivians are most likely female. Males of both species are highly territorial, and if a male was present you would know it. The behaviour of your male blue ram should be indicative. And his allowing the female Bolivians to be present is further evidence they are likely female. A male Bolivian and male Blue would not get along, or to put it another way, their interactive aggression would be very obvious. Charging, head bunting and flaring are common; sometimes it gets much more serious, causing severe stress to the loser. Males will exhibit such behaviour top other males, always, either species. Females generally remain placid, for a cichlid anyway, though sometimes this can suddenly change particularly when spawning.

Byron.

Attachments

• Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 168

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back