Sex determination in guppies at a young age...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Most people wait until fry are already grown after a couple of weeks to sex them. But it's already possible to sex them after a couple of days after birth. But it does need a good eye to see the differences at such a young age. With base colors as golden, blond and white, it can be somewhat tricky to see a tiny gravid spot that early.
Guppy sex determination at a young age.jpg

Most people wait until fry are already grown after a couple of weeks to sex them. But it's already possible to sex them after a couple of days after birth. But it does need a good eye to see the differences at such a young age. With base colors as golden, blond and white, it can be somewhat tricky to see a tiny gravid spot that early.
View attachment 306629
That is helpful

That is helpful
Thought I was time so post this. For I've read so many times that it takes much longer before you can sex them while serious breeders like me do it this way to determine their sex. But I do keep saying that it does take a real good eye.
It has been years since I've had guppies but did not know that. I never looked that closely at a new-born. Interesting!
Most people don't pay this specific attention on them. In general, serious guppy breeders use this method.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back