Severum Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smooth_bourbon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I lost all my fish recently, all I can narrow it down to is a drop in PH. I have left a Lepard spotted pleco in my 80 gallon. I have added some crushed coral into my filter to help buffer and for now am waiting and testing a lot. I am thinking I would like some severums when I do get brave enough to add fish again. What can go with them? Can I mix between species. This is assuming I can get all males I do not want any pairing.

I think Severums can be a bit belligerent to their own kind so I'm not sure if multiple males would work out. I can't remember where I read that, though. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it..

I think Severums can be a bit belligerent to their own kind so I'm not sure if multiple males would work out. I can't remember where I read that, though. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it..

i would not put males together as i have a few and i ended up taking them back to lfs because of the aggression. and the little golden severum died from the result of it. they like to have the whole tank as their Territorial and whenever the fish come out of hiding they go for them. even with non cichlids!

Yep!
My smaller male killed the larger so they dont work well unless the tank is huge.
Try Silver dollars or Red hooks (or any of the similar sp.)
Smaller south american cichlids.
Larger barbs
Armoured catfish

Basically anything that can get over 4" and is peaceful.

I have had a lot of success and downfalls with severums. Success: a breeder pair. Downfalls: almost all of the other fish that were in with them ended up dead because of the severums' aggression. They have killed larger kissing gouramis, severums, and so many other fish that I don't put anything else in with them. It's especially bad around the time that they breed. They are great fish, but extremely aggressive in my personal experience.

rarefish

I have had a lot of success and downfalls with severums. Success: a breeder pair. Downfalls: almost all of the other fish that were in with them ended up dead because of the severums' aggression. They have killed larger kissing gouramis, severums, and so many other fish that I don't put anything else in with them. It's especially bad around the time that they breed. They are great fish, but extremely aggressive in my personal experience.

rarefish

i agree thats the same with me!
they chased everything and nipped them!

many years ago i kept 2 breeding pairs of severum in a 100 gallon with a school of 10 congo tetras and things were fine for years

yeah someone else said they were okay when bredding or pairing off. maybe they like to have a lover:p mine always chased my other fish making them hide and gasp! :( nice to hear of a happy one!

Most reactions

Back