Severum Stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How many severums would it be sensible to keep in a 600l Rena supalife (2m by 0.5m)?

would one red, one gold, one green, one turquoise one rotkeil all mix well together (all females or one male and the rest female)....? thinking of putting in bolivian rams or orange head geophagus with them (was thinking jack dempsey but gone off that idea as hear that they tend to be more aggressive).

Also, I see adverts a for red and red spotted - presume they are the same as haven't seen a pure red (but assuming they are being line bred to have less and less yellow and end up pure red)

Thanks

How many severums would it be sensible to keep in a 600l Rena supalife (2m by 0.5m)?

would one red, one gold, one green, one turquoise one rotkeil all mix well together (all females or one male and the rest female)....? thinking of putting in bolivian rams or orange head geophagus with them (was thinking jack dempsey but gone off that idea as hear that they tend to be more aggressive).

Also, I see adverts a for red and red spotted - presume they are the same as haven't seen a pure red (but assuming they are being line bred to have less and less yellow and end up pure red)

Thanks
I would go for 4 max but they might not get along to well. It will probably be best to keep ones that all get to the same size so atleast its a evan match. I think the red spot, gold and green would be enough. I would try and get them all one sex aswell because i think they can cross breed.

Wouldn't advise you put bolivian rams in with them, my red spots already killed one of mine!

And to be honest I wouldn't advise putting in with geophagus either! I currently have a 5-6inch red sev that chases my group of 4inch geophagus tapajo and a 7-8inch geophagus tapajo! I'm still in 2 minds wether to rehome my red sev for this reason.

I suppose it all comes down to trial and error but I would really really advise against putting bolivians in with sevs.

And yes red sevs and red spotted sevs are the same. :good:

ime its all down to the individual fish . i have in the past mixed sevs with geos no problems at all , generally it does work. however id say even in a large tank like that filling it with 6 sevs is a bit much , especially if you want tankmates . i would probably go with 2 sevs and a group of say 4 or 5 geophagus , this would then give you scope to think about a few other cichlids too.

1 thing i have found with geos , is that once they get a bit of size they can be pretty territorial , particularly to fish smaller than them , so tankmates should ideally be fairly peaceful but at the same time able to stand their ground if the need arises.

bigeyes it sounds like you have an unusually hard sev , like minxys sev harry . ive had red spots greens and a rotkeil ranging from juvies to full grown adults and all of them have been completely gentle .

mine could even be trusted with corydoras .

ime its all down to the individual fish . i have in the past mixed sevs with geos no problems at all , generally it does work. however id say even in a large tank like that filling it with 6 sevs is a bit much , especially if you want tankmates . i would probably go with 2 sevs and a group of say 4 or 5 geophagus , this would then give you scope to think about a few other cichlids too.

Agreed. This is a more realistic plan.

If at all possible, add the sevs at the same time. THey can get very territorial twoards newcomer sevs once established in a tank.

Bolivian Rams and Sevs, well Rotkeils anyway in my experience, can work whilst the Sevs are still juvies. I have four Rotties in with my Rams and they are fine, if anything the Rams are more naughty :lol: The Rotties squabble amongst themselves occasionally, but there is no nastiness with the Rams.

I'm not sure how they'd be longer term and as the Sevs got bigger, you'd have to play it by ear. Also, Greens can be more aggressive. My Red Spot is mostly a dope but not tried either of them with my Rams. I think they'd be OK though, as the Rams are no threat.

My Geo Tapajo is a lot smaller than my Sevs at the mo, but again, gets on well at the moment. He will be going with the other Sevs as well eventually, so I'm hoping it does work out :lol:

Severums and Geophagus are one of the classic mixes for the SA tank. I have an adult Heros Severus and he mixes fine with my 3 Geophagus sp.Tocantins. And equally well with my nicaraguan, leopoldi angels, krobia, headstanders, lemon tetras and headstanders.

Severums are pretty flexable fish and you will find differing levels of aggression from individuals but unless they are a pretty raucus one its not an issue and you will find that their usual reputation of them being a gentile giant with the ability to stand up when needed to will be proved right.

Personally in 600 liters I would say upto 3 Sevs and 5 geophagus but it depends on what other fish you want in the tank.

Wills

See I had no problem with Rams and Severums, including my large red spot, never bothered the rams, but the older he got the more he disliked other severums, to the point where he doesnt tolerate any others at all, but then he doesnt like any fish larger than himself either, he is the boss of any time he lives in.

You could, in theory, have about 4 severums in that tank, but buy them young and grow them up together to get the best chance of the co-existing, as with most cichlids, it will be down to individual temprement, if you get a group of placid severums, you will be fine, but if you get one that decides to claim the entire tank, then you will have problems.

Never experienced severums having a problem with geophagus species either.

Most reactions

trending

Back