Severum Minimum Tank Size...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a Severum in a 55gal tank. Besides the Pleco, all other fish are low waste loads. If need be, I could probably buy a 100gal filter. Not at the moment, but in the future. After doing a lot of searching, sites can either say 55 or 75 is the minimum tank size. Some sites even say 100. My Severum (a he) is at 4 inches long since I got him in March or April. Will he be fine in this size tank, at adult size of 10-12 in? I am getting a 3rd tank in December, but it is marine. If the Severum were to outgrow this tank, I would probably get a 125gal... if I had the money or anywhere to put it. :( But some sites say a 55 is fine. He also has plenty of room to swim. It is lightly decorated, a fake log, a rock, real and fake plants. Not cramped. He has grown over twice the size of purchase.

Oh, and this is 55USG, and a long tank, not tall. 48in - 12in- 21in

Bigger is better in my opinion....55 IMO is not big enough once they get to adult size.

A standard 55usg isnt really large enough for a full grown Sev, due to the turning width of the tank, its can be done, but personally Id say a 75usg, so it has more of a 4ft x 18" width footprint is better for them.

my tank is 90 usg and i only have 1 sev ( red spotted ) i would only have 1 in my size tank which is 48 x 18 x 24.

my tank is 90 usg and i only have 1 sev ( red spotted ) i would only have 1 in my size tank which is 48 x 18 x 24.

Hi mark was just wondering what make your tank is I'm after a similar one as an upgrade and not sure of which brands make which size.....unless your looking for an upgrade or sale ;)

Go bigger since sevs get 12L and maybe 10Tall, go 75-100 USG.

Go bigger since sevs get 12L and maybe 10Tall, go 75-100 USG.

I was originally going to get a 75 but an all-in-one tank was impossible to find. I found the tank, but no hood and filter. It would have been too expensive as well.

You could wait till the Sev is about 8 inches and look till then

You could wait till the Sev is about 8 inches and look till then

you will need a bigger tank by the time the sev got to 6 inches nevermind 8.

The only thing is, I don't have room for anything bigger, at the moment. The tank is very lightly decorated so there is plenty of space to move. I can't get a new tank right now, I'm getting a tank in December most likely but not freshwater. I really don't like rehoming fish (I had to do it once) and most sites do say 55 bare minimum... could it work but just be a tight squeeze? I don't want to bring him back to the place I bought him, they treat their fish.... badly and he had ich.

Could you not upgrade to a 4ft x 18inch wide x 2ft tall? Its that much bigger than your current tank and also the exact size of Juwel Rio 300 - Ive been searching for one here in the UK and the going rate for one here seems to be £200 for one with the internal filter still intact. Depending on the current filter though you could cut this out and use your current system. Also if you get a cheapish one you may be able to break even as it where with the sale of your current tank and unit. Or at least cut down your total cost.
Wills :)

Could you not upgrade to a 4ft x 18inch wide x 2ft tall? Its that much bigger than your current tank and also the exact size of Juwel Rio 300 - Ive been searching for one here in the UK and the going rate for one here seems to be £200 for one with the internal filter still intact. Depending on the current filter though you could cut this out and use your current system. Also if you get a cheapish one you may be able to break even as it where with the sale of your current tank and unit. Or at least cut down your total cost.
Wills :)

Thanks. I live in the US though... I saw some Aqueon 75gal tanks but none with the hood and filter. I think I would have had to get it special ordered, and I had just lost my job so I had to go for the 55. :( I bought a brand new tank + stand, and it was $300 in total. 75 would have probably been $400+, though I considered a 90gal I had seen for $600, it would look awkiwardly big in my room.

I would love to upgrade, but can't at the moment because I don't have the room or money. :( I did see some cheap tanks on Craigslist though. I could consider that in the future.

I could get a 100 gal filter the tank. That may help out for the moment, thanks for suggesting.

Your fine for now. I have a 1.5" severum in a 10 gal tank. It's only till she get an inch bigger then he moves to my 55 gal. I have been reading a lot on these fish. Yes they can get big up to 13". it takes more then 3 years for them to get that big most of the time. Seems like they grow fast till they hit around 5-6" then they slow down and grow slowly. I would say your fish will be fine since you can not upgrade now and your fish is still small just save up. In a year or 2 maybe you will find a great deal on a tank. I have also read on other sites of people that have a 3 year old severum that's 8" another person had a 10" fish at 3 yr. So they all differ in size due to them being tank bred for a fewyears now. selective breeding to get other color morphs has messed with the genetics of this fish causing some to just be smaller.

I'm getting a 110usg for free from a friend that is moving. So you never know what will happen from now till then. My question is if money is an issue then why are you setting up a salt water tank? Saltwater is SO much more money then fresh water it's like 5 times more money to set up. I know I started it but had to stop due to lack of money and time.

Saltwater is SO much more money then fresh water it's like 5 times more money to set up. I know I started it but had to stop due to lack of money and time.

I am getting the Saltwater tank as a gift for Christmas.... the 55 had to pay for on my own. Also, the saltwater would be only probably a 29gal, with the protein skimmer $500, same price as probably a 75 with stand (but since that isn't a LOT bigger than a 55, I would probably upgrade to 90, there is one for sale with everything for $700) I also have more room for a 29gal saltwater than a 75-90gal freshwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back