Severum In A 50gal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

foley69

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ok i so i got rid of my community fish to my lfs an exchanged them for a firemouth and severum both babys around 1" for firemouth and 2" for the severum but i was hoping that a severum would be ok in a 50 gal tank which is about 38-40" long and if so could i get away with a jack dempsey in there aswell

IMO, no, you cant add a JD as well, 50g is a minimum I would say for 1 severum, with the firemouth as well adding anymore cichlids is really asking for trouble. You may get away with a shoaling fish, obviously not small shoaling fish as they will be eaten, but something like tiger barbs could hold their own against a severum/firemouth.

ok but my firemouth would be staying in the 25 gal with a couple of BN's do you not think i could get away with an EBJD as they do not grow as big as the normal JD's nd sory is 55 gal the tank if tht helps

You could try, get them both young and you might get away with it, JD's are pretty aggressive fish and severums are normally considered peaceful (for cichlids) although some can be absolute terrors themselves, so from young together you might be ok, be ready once they reach maturity to re-home one though.

maybe that would be risky what other cichlid would you recommend instead of a JD then minxfishy maybe green terror, blue acara ????

Blue acara would be a good cichlid to add, GT you may get away with also, but my choice would be blue acaras, lovely fish, relatively peaceful, then perhaps as I say a small shoal of fish, larger tetras, congos, bleeding hearts, black skirts all would be fine with a BA or Sev :good:

ye a like the idea of congo tetras :D and blue acaras are stunning cheers minx ;) o btw are severums slow or fast growing fish because with it being 2" it will be 5-6 week before it will be goin in the bigger tank

Slow in comparison to say Oscars, quick in comparison to knife fish, it will probably have grown only a small amount in 5/6 weeks, so adding an acara of relatively the same size will be no problem, as they grow roughly the same rate. Good water changes and a varied diet will help the growth, try cichlid pellets, hikari or tetra are good, supplemented by live/frozen blood worms, prawn, shrimp and mine used to love mussel :good:

Oh and severum are little monsters for eating live plants, so if you have any, be aware you may find them munched upon on a regular basis :)

If you go for a shoal of congos, make sure you have plenty of plants and if possible floating plants as they can be fairly skittish, at least 6 would also be my advise, once they settle in, they colour up beautifully and are great fish to keep, will keep the sev/acara on their toes.

ye sounds good and i have 2 amazon swords in my tank now nd its not nibbled them once problem now is findin a blue acara green terrors are all over my area but theres a place called oasis acuatics near manchester that is supposedly meant to be one of the best shops in england has something liek 3 floors of fish

Yeah BA's are a rarity round here too (wolverhampton) so I know what you mean about finding them, I had to order mine online in the end and ended up with two BA's after receiving the Texas cichlid by their mistake :rolleyes:

if i cant find a blue acara would the GT be a good alternative or maybe a jurupari

As I said you could try a GT, but never having had a GT I cant speak for its aggressiveness, but hey the name suggests he wont be a pussycat :lol:

Jurupari should be I believe and again not had any should be in groups, but wait for a more definitive answer on that, Geo surinamensis are lovely fish which would go well.

Minxy my sincerest apologies for butting in and talking pash right through your thread- bad craic

Whats the exact dimensions of the tank? Sev's are big, stocky fish when adult and I without knowing the length and width of the tank would be hard to suggest stocking options.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back